My turn to EXHAUST!!!! (or vent)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Nov 15, 2006.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

:dizzy:
    I've been kickin tail on leaves with my Toro 62" with atomic blades. Mulching machine. I was out today on my last property that this machine was gonna be used for and I heard a change in my exhaust pitch. The change got REAL LOUD. I stopped and looked to find that not only did the pipes at the muffler came out, the bracket that holds the works up had cracked in 2 places. BTW that bracket is put on thin steel. There are 310 hours on the 26EFI.

I am thinking that the guy who was talking about a surcharge being price gouging in another thread. I am not saying that Toro is gouging me but as of this posting it cost me $0.86 per hour for that muffler. For those of you who don't want to break the pencil out that replacement cost is $268.00

I just had to laugh because anything else would just be a waste of energy. I can get a whole replacement exhaust system for 2 cars for the same price. So when the dude says why do you have a rediculuous surcharge and you are stealing from your customer, remember this little lesson. Unplanned repairs cost money and the do happen. So I worked a little bit to replace the muffler but my costs will be made up when the bills go out, no price gouging here.

nov6 192.jpg

nov6 191.jpg

nov6 190.jpg

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

That crappy,have you got a back up or is the season done.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I finished up with the good old Walker. BTW it also has a 26EFI on it and the thing has 1550 hours with the ORIGINAL muffler. I love my Walker. I really didn't want to bag but it looked excellent when finished.

nov6 132.jpg

nov6 175.jpg

4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Just curious. Could have backed up and hit something to break the welds. Low tree limb or something. I have busted two mufflers by backing up and hitting a low wall. Then it would go out later that day or the next day.

But at those hours the welds should have held that is for sure.

JP

5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I'm willing to bet that you backed into something.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Ya know anything is possible as far as hitting something. I don't recall any big hits or even small ones but I am sure that it is a good possibility that I did hit something at some time.
    I am not really upset about it, it happens. Get this, my dealer will have one for me from the factory tomorrow. I love Reinders in Wisconsin.

7. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

for that price I would of tried to weld it first. Is that possible?

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

NOW YOU HAVE STrAIGHT PIPES !!!! Just put some Chrome tips on there an let er rip!

JK

9. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

its funny cause i thought the same thing, lol

10. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i agree. A good welder could easily repair that. For much less.