1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

My V-Ride 36 Mods

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Sep 29, 2010.

1. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

After using our V-ride 36 for a few days we took off the weight plates you see in the pics. The plates were bolted under the front deck cover and weight 70 lbs. We removed the fold down platform extension so the operator can't stand as far back and cause the machine to get light in the front. The big pad was removed as well to allow the operator to stand about 6" closer to the center of the wheels to improve the weight balance.

If I owned a machine shop I'd love to cut the whole dashboard control panel area off and push it a head about 8". This would allow the operator to really put the brunt of his weight between the back wheels and the front casters. You really want no weight to be supported behind the rear wheels if you can help it. This would also allow you to lean forward as you go up an incline which would be beneficial.

It would also be nice if the forward fixed bar on the control panel was adjustable like the Super Surfers so you could use it for speed control. The V-Ride will go way faster than you can mow so it would be nice to dumb down the speed like my Scag SWZU's can do. Either a Super Surfer style speed control or even better yet a speed selector like my SWZU would be great.

Are you listening Scag? We like the mower but with the suggested tweaks it will really smoke the other stand up mowers. Plus the mower will weigh less which is a huge benefit. Not needing to buy 70 lbs of extra steel per mower would reduce the manufacturing costs a little, PSI on the turf, and reduce :walking:fuel consumption a little.

IMG_6169.jpg

IMG_6170.jpg

IMG_6171.jpg

IMG_6172.jpg

2. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

I was looking at these 36" V Rides a few months ago, but they didn't have any in stock. Can you post pictures of the deck and the whole machine from different angles? If you have time. I would also like to know if you cut Bermuda with it, and if you do how does it cut?

Thanks, Dave...

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

So basically try to make it so where the operator stands is the same as a Wright:laugh:

4. PlantscapeSolutions

My guys are out mowing with it right now. The deck is the Advatage deck on the 36's. On the larger mowers they come with the Velocity decks. The deck is the exact same deck I have on my Scag SWZU (floating deck walk behind) 36's. We mow Buffalo, Bermuda, Zoysia, and St. Augustine with no problem. The 20 HP Kawi motor is a monster on a 36. It screams up hills without losing steam like the 15 HP 36's. My fuel consumption still is about 5 gallons a day. We mulch but if you eject the grass you could probably run over a tree with the thing.

I was the first one to by a V-Ride from my local shop but another bigger shop in town has sold twenty of these mowers in different sizes to just two clients. The companies were replacing zero turns with V-Rides because they take up less space in the trailers. Unless you have leg or knee issues standing up is better for your back than being hunched over sitting on your azz. Plus it much faster to get on and off a stand up mower. Also no ROPS crap to deal with.

5. coolluv

from Atlanta

Thanks for the reply. I have trouble with scalping issues on Bermuda, not all lawns but about half. I was wondering if the 36 has anti scalp wheels on the deck? The lawns around here are just thrown down when installed and are bumpy and rough, I have a Super Z 44" and it does ok most of the time but it is heavy and it causes ruts, even when I change patterns I can still see the ruts. Most accounts are small so a huge deck is not needed, I also have a 36" Trimstar but I would rather ride than walk. I don't use the Trimstar much, only for areas that I can't use the Z. I was thinking on trading in the Z for a 36" V ride. Don't get me wrong I love the Z, but the cut could be better and I would like something smaller and lighter. The Z also has trouble in the spring with thick Bermuda, when its dry in summer its not a problem, but in the spring and early summer I have to double and triple cut.

Dave...

6. PlantscapeSolutions

It has an anti scalp wheel on the center of the deck. Because it's a small deck it doesn't have multiple anti-scalp wheels like what you'd see on a big deck. But it you have a really poorly sodded yard your going to scalp no matter what. Bigger mowers will obviously make the problem worse on concave or convex areas even if the place is sodded perfectly.

7. PlantscapeSolutions

I tried the Wright when it first came out and again before I bought the Scag. For me the steering on the Wright was just too twitchy and it drove me crazy. It was the Sentar Sport that I tried out.

I didn't like the Stander because the operator platform is higher up making it harder to get under obstacles. With the Scag you can still mow up under obstacle with the deck. Plus that vertical pad is right up against your knees with that Stander.

Wright has always been able to design interesting mowers. But there has always been one funky thing about them that hasn't allowed the mowers to go mainstream and take market share from big dogs like Scag.

Years ago I sent Wright & Velke info on how I would like a Velky to be designed. Years later the Velky Super Pro comes out. Now I'd like to see an aircraft grade aluminum Super Pro that would weigh a whole lot less. If Bike frames and ATV stuff can be made from 4130 and aircraft grade aluminum why not a Super Pro.

8. coolluv

from Atlanta

How do you like the cut on Bermuda? Wet conditions, thick turf, etc. Does it leave stringers or uncut grass in thick wet Bermuda?

Dave...

9. PlantscapeSolutions

I like it in all conditions. The extra 5 HP helps a lot. We start the day early so it's a given there going to be wet grass cut for a few hours in the morning. I find Zoysia is the worst grass to cut if it's a little tall because it's so thick.

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

the wrights do have a huge market share, and they are the most used here by far, especially stand ons. with all those mods you are asking for, you sure dont like the v ride much, as it is quirky and all due to patents etc by the one who got wieght balance correct the first time, WRIGHT.