My very first ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, I am getting a 44" Exmark Lazer HP 19 HP Kawisaki in a few weeks. I already put down a dedposit for it a few days ago. My question is what advice would you give someone who has never owned a ZTR and just bought one? I'm talking about care for it, how to drive it, how to not tear up turf, what kinda oil to use, safety precautions, tips for making any part of it last longer, and WHATEVER else you can think of. Please don't limit it to the questions I asked. That's just what I can think of right now. Also what kinda upgrades can I get for it (for the engine and mower itself)?
    I will be mulching w/ it using gator blades up top and Hi-lifts on bottom. Keep in mind that I am totally new to ZTR's, so assume that I know nothing about them. My mower before this was a 21" self-propelled Scotts WB 6.5 OHV and before that was a 20" or 21" push Murray, so this is a big jump for me and I had to work my A$$ off to get this ZTR!

[Edited by Vibe Ray on 02-05-2001 at 07:12 PM]
  2. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Run Straight 30 weight in it for the first 200 hours, then switch to refular 10w30. I use Mobil 1 and I know a lot of other guys that use it. For clutch life, make sure you engage and disengage the blades at the lowest possible rpms. Only other thing I can think off the top of my head is stay away from Kohler engines. Practice with it before you start cutting with it. Get use to turning it around without tearing up a lawn. Just get the hang of it, this will make spring time easier and make your lawns look better right away. Never turn down a hill!!! You will learn how take hills on your own, we all have!! Most of have horror stories about hills and ztr's!! YOu made a good purchase with Exmark, I'm very happy with mine and I'm sure you will be too. Maybe you should look into a 48?? The 44 doesn't stick out at all, the 48 makes it much easier to get close to things with the off set deck. Difference in price isn't much and the difference in deck size won't even be noticeable.
  3. Vibe Ray

I can live w/ a little extra trimming and I will probably get good at trimming w/ the 44" after some practice antway. It sticks out about an inch.The price difference between the 44" and the 48" for me was big cuz I got a deal w/ the 44" ($5850 plus tax) and I couldn't get as good a deal on the 48"
    I should also mention that this machine is brand new and that it is a 2000.
  4. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

Vibe Ray congradulations on your first ztr, You will enjoy mowing twice as much as well as getting twice as much work done in the same time, one important thing is to locate all your grease serts and keep them greased on a regular basis take your time practicing on an open lot somewhere, watch the tires and learn how to turn using both levers at the same time you might want to change the set up on the blades it seems to work better for me to have the highlift on top and the gator blades on bottom. Good luck and enjoy
  5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Moonarrow, you said "getting twice as much work done in the same time". Maybe you need to go back and check his original post. He said he has always used a 21". He will get 4 times as much mowing in as he ever has. My best advice is don't go on a good lawn after it has rained for 3 days straight because you will tear it up unless you are really good and really careful which will come with time. Other advice, you'd better start advertising because you will have a lot of free time on your hands after your done with those lawns in no time. Good Luck.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Like the other guys said, practice turning. Physical look at the tires while turning. Always have both tires in motion while making a turn. After a little while, everything will come natural. Let us know how you make out.
  7. Vibe Ray

8. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Ray just wanted to wish you all the best with your new mower. Just read your manuel and use that hour meter as a maintaince tool. Grease it as the manuel says, but in dry weather keep that air filter clean check it everyday, 12dollars is a very cheap way to protect that Kohler. I know alot of cutters have had problems with the 25hp Kohler but just about everyone i know that has one around here has great sucess with them. So far i haven't had any prob with the kohlers. I do think the 48" would have been a better choise. Bet that 48 is only 200 more. I think id check it out. Dealer knows he has a sell maybe he will suprise you. Good luck Marks Mowing Service PS Check that oil everyday.
  9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Oil and Filter every 50 hours. New Air filter every 200hrs. Grease all fittings every 25hrs or more often if possible. Because its not a Kohler it should last forever following these rules.
  10. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

ray, tell your dealer you want a 48 and see what happens. I bet he deals with you just like the 44!! couldn't hurt to try. I always do that, plus swear at him a few times, walk out a couple times, stuff like that!! :) JUst kidding, but you might as well ask him.