1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My Walker is acting up!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nlminc, Jul 22, 2008.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Hey everyone! My Walker is acting like it's got some bad gas, sputtering, then running fine, and then almost stalling out. I filled it with high grade and it ran fine until about mid day and then it started acting the same way again.

Any ideas? It's a 03 w/26hp. I have about 1600 hrs on it.

2. b121774

b121774 LawnSite Member

check the plugs, make sure you don't have a burnt cylinder.
  3. nlminc

from GA

What do you mean by burnt cylinder? Just need new plugs maybe?
  4. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

has it had a fuel filter latey?
  5. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

it can be burnig oil in that cylinder, and fouling out the plug.
  6. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I think I had the same problem with my FX last week. New fuel filter and it was fine!
  7. Optimum Lawn

Optimum Lawn LawnSite Member

Water in the gas which is sitting in the float bowl which when hits the main jet causes sputtering??

Bad coil/module...when coil gets hot(or not) starts to break down(not spark fully) have had that happen to me.

Fuel or spark issues...just need to figure which.
  8. nlminc

from GA

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, it has a gasket leaking oil....typical on this engine. I'll change out the plugs and see what happens.

I noticed it would want to stall when I turned to the right more so than other times.
  9. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Then just turn left!:)
    Sorry, only fooling around.
    It would seem like a fuel problem from your description. If you're up to it clean the carb' and fuel lines. At the same time check the fuel filter.
    Does sound like a partially blocked carb.
    If this don't work we'll move onto the ignition.
    Good luck Phil
  10. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

if I understood you correctly, I had a similar problem on one of my Kohler's a year ago. It was the front cylinder (nearest driver). OHV cover leaked and the fins on the head became caked with grass and oil. This caused the cylinder to heat up and the rings lost their spring. I had to replace the rings. I have had a couple of other similar prolems with my other walkers, but one was a bad head gasket and the other was high oil consumption because of a bad reed valve. After I did some repair myself, I am a believer in taking it to the dealer at least for a diagnosis using leakdown tester and compression tester. I replaced two head gaskets when the problem was in the reed valve.