my walker that bit the dust...what to do!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Hartzog, Jun 18, 2007.

1. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

ok, remember the post "what a walker would look like if it were in a NASCAR wreck"

i took that heap to the shop and begged for a slightly good report.

he said i got a bent frame...but the engine is good, so if i want i could replace the frame and bagger and keep the engine.

but, he says he knows i've already got $6000 in this thing...and remember, i had just paid it off the day before it bit the dust...and he says he's got some contacts and he knows of at least one guy who would sell his that is in really good condition with about 600 hours for $5000.

but, i am not really sure what i want to do. am i going to buy another that everyone says is great and then risk sinking more into that one...or do i just get the new frame...and i dont know what that will run me.

2. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a used ones and use yours for parts. Salvage every good part off the old one. You would be surprised if you totaled up the cost of each part.

My dad told me once when cars cost 8,000 brand new, that if you bought it part by part it would cost you 10 times as much.

well mowers are the same way. Walker sells you a mower knowing you will eventually need parts for it.

3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

buy something similar to yours and part it out. The best would be if you could find a used model with the same motor set up. I would fog the engine cylinders, change the oil and drain the gas completely from the carb as well. Clean it down and coat it all with wd40, put it in a plastic bag and wait for the one in you used one to blow up.

Not many parts changes in walkers lines from year to year. Most MTGHS models are the same build for the most part going back a long time. They've changed safety switch setups and some wiring, but everything else should be the same as far as pumps, pulleys, linkages, gearboxes, driveshafts.........