1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My website good or bad?

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by B.B. CHUCK, Jan 23, 2008.

1. B.B. CHUCK

B.B. CHUCK LawnSite Member
    from stl

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Don't use free hosting.
    I can't tell what that is a picture of on the home page.
    It is very basic and gets the point across.
    It's a start.

Pay for hosting.
    Keep working on the site.
    I personally didn't care for the website tonight builder. There are better and easier to use builders. I use coffeecup.
    Just keep at it.
  3. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I think that your sight is pretty cool. But you may want to raise your prices a little. But that's just my 2 cents. I don't know your area.
  4. B.B. CHUCK

from stl

Well its not free but it was cheap just testing the waters with the site for now will pay for custom design if ness. I thought about higher prices but I'm in in area where I think I can pull off the just mow it business model. Will stipulate with all new customers prices will go up if fuel prices negate it. Will have to figure a small % if fuel costs excede say 3.50 or so.
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Yes, it is being hosted free. There are ads at the top of the page. Not to mention it says, "This site hosted free by godaddy.com". That is kind of a dead giveaway. I know you paid for your domain name, but you are not paying for hosting. Go ahead and pay for hosting, it is cheap too. It will do wonders for your SEO.
  6. B.B. CHUCK

from stl

:hammerhead: Got it... Thanks!!....
  7. bburian

bburian LawnSite Member

I would definitiely go with a hosted website...godaddy.com offers good prices.

People searching for you on the web are only gonna give you a few seconds to make a first impression so you have to make it count....even if it means spending a few dollars to do it.

I just threw a site together for my lawn care company...only took a few hours and its basic stuff that almost anyone can accomplish with a little work...its not finished yet...I just need to find more time.

If you need any help with it just shoot me an email bburian@gmail.com - I develop sites as part of my day job.
  8. qwerty

qwerty LawnSite Member

The site is a little hard on the eyes. The green on black and all that text can't be good for my sight. The ad-supported hosting comes across as amateur-ish. There will be little SEO (search engine optimization) with Website Tonight and you have very little marketability other than price.

Your site's job is to sell benefits to prospects, but the wording and pricing look like you are bidding strictly on price. If you are not the cheapest in the area, what other reason would someone have to contact you? That should be the focus of your site. It should engage visitors quickly and convince them to continue reading.

It's not enough to have a domain and some contact information. Your site can be more than just an electronic business card.
  9. shopmanual

shopmanual LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

It's a start. I would go with a little different color scheme than the green text with the black background, it may be hard for some to read. I would also get a different picture for the home page, but you said that was in the works.
  10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

If you used a nice crisp clean and colorful photo of a landscape instead of that graphic, I'd like it.

Could be the same size.

Otherwise, as simple as it is, I like the layout.

But don't like the graphic.