1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My weird question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by summitgroundskeeping, Jun 24, 2001.

1. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

All this talk about stiping and checker patterns got me thinking. Have any of you guys had a client ask to not see a line from tires, stipes from a striping kit, and not a single mark in their lawn as a result from mowing? If so what did you tell them? I wouldn't know how to do it, and I wouldn't because I love my checked patterns.:confused:
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ive never had it happen, but if it did id tell them they must be on crack. i dont think there really is a way to mow a lawn without stripes. if you mow only in one direction all the clippings would gather in one spot and look worse. id drop em.

WILSON BROS. LawnSite Member

I have. I bought my first ztr about 10 yrs ago. It wasn't much but it laid down nice stripes. Recieved several nice comments from the customers. Then I started mowing for two old women. (different yards) One told me that my mower was mowing crooked and couldnt figure out what the different colored grass was doing there if it wasn't. Her husband had mowed that lawn for forty years and it never had two colors of grass in it. (Lost that contract, I refused to mow in a circle.) Next old woman same story except for the fact she told me that her Swisher mower did a better job. I kept her for a couple of years and figured out the deal. I was mowing her yard to quickly to do a good job. Regaurdless of what it looked like I couldn't be doing a good job going that fast. By the way my mower was not mowing crooked.
  4. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

When I found this site last year, I showed my wife the picture of stripes and asked her how she like it. She didn't. She wants a lawn with uniform color and look.

Do you mean that if the customer doesn't want it done your way, you'd drop them? Whose lawn is it?
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I actually lost a customer last year due to my stripes! He now is cutting it himself again in circles with his toro push mower. I have a current customer who has mentioned his dislike of the stripes my mowers leave for years......I have found that the only people who dont like the stripes are older men who cut the lawn themselved for 50 years and "know how a lawn is to be cut".
  6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I've had one client (out of 27) comment on how she didn't care for the "two-toned look".

I busted out laughing! :D

"No problem" I said...and now I cut her yard in the old square pattern.

She is happy...and I get paid weekly.

The majority of my other clients really appreciate the "striped" look...
    ...they equate it with the "fancy" lawns in the very affluent areas in town.

Yesterday a lady client told me that some people at her church asked her how much extra does it cost to have the lawn look like that. (striped).

7. hobbes

hobbes Banned

No offence to any of you stripers but we cut over 150 residentials a week & stripe none of them. No one ever asked us to and all our business is word of mouth.
  8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Oh boy, here we go again. Can someone please explain how it's possible to mow a tall growing grass such as fescue and not leave a stripe pattern and still mow with efficiency?

I go one way and turn around, when I go the other direction the stripe is there, I can't seem to get rid of the d*** thing, it follows me everywhere! SOMEONE please explain.
  9. hobbes

hobbes Banned

Get rid of anything that pushes grass down, chains, trim the back flaps. There is very little color differece if you do this.
  10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Sorry that did not help. My mowers have no chains, push down flaps, or anything else, just the deck. Both are Great Danes, one a Scamper & the other is a Chariot, totally stock.

The tires are the last thing on the mower and seem to also leave stripes, how do I get rid of them? Here is a photo with no add on striping kits, any other ideas?