Lawn Care Forum banner

My work

27K views 124 replies 16 participants last post by  zechstoker 
#1 ·
Alright, here's my equip / work pics from today. Remember people, I'm just starting out. These are my only two accts so far, and they happen to be only a couple of doors down from one another. The first one was TERRIBLE when I started two weeks ago. All the edges were about 1 1/2 feet tall of weeds.. the beds were full of weeds.. The rock/retaining wall was full of weeds... so its a work in progress. My edges will look better and better as the grass gets fuller.

The second (larger) one is a little dry. I started this one today. Before I did it, you couldn't even see the top of the bricks (border) really, because the edges were so horrible.. anyway, please be nice :)

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car

Plant Building Window Tree House

Plant Window Wheel Car Vehicle

Wheel Plant Tire Car Property

Plant Sky Tree Road surface Building

Plant Window Building Tree Road surface

See less See more
#78 ·
Hey Darryl... I beat ya :) The OP was Calvin but he was banned Stihl Guy posted a copy and paste of the epic thread

New account with four wide wood trimmed stairs leading down to a large back yard. End of the day, not thinking clearly, tired, don't want to use the 21 on this back yard. Take the WB slowly down the stairs with deck tilted back. Cut the back & suddenly realize I have to get the WB BACK UP THE STAIRS. Dropped off the help before this job. Tilt the deck back & make a slow run at the first step (pretty steep), no go, increase speed make another run, no go. Wood is getting scraped. No way I'm going to make it up four steps. Unlock the hydro & pull. Doesn't work. Customer comes out, sees the scraped wood & me sweating & pushing at the bottom step. I tell her the machine broke down & I will restain the wood. She gives me an evil look (don't blame her) & watches as I push, pull, twist, lift, to no avail. Finally after about 15 min. I tell her I'll be right back. Phone everyone I know, answering machines, left lotsa URGENT messages. That WB is still sitting in her back yard. I'm so fu**** STUPID. What would you have done besides not take it down the steps?

Thought of a ramp about an hour after the stores closed. I had my face pressed up against the glass at the locked lumber store.

Went back to the customers house yesterday morning with two employees, lumber, circular saw, wood stain & a sander. WB IS GONE! I am in shock. Then I see the wood fence at the back of the property has been smashed through. At this point I'm sure the WB was stolen. Walk over to the smashed fence & see the WB front end up against a tree in the adjoining yard. Blade was running because both my customers, & the neighbors flower garden have been chopped up. Take the WB out through the adjoining yard, sand & restain the steps & leave. Got a message from the customer last night to call her, but haven't been able to get through yet. Hoping the husband did this & not some kid looking to steal a WB so I don't have to pay for the damage. The fact the blade was running when it crashed through the fence makes me think it wasn't a theft attempt. If the hubby or one of their kids did it I'm not at fault & shouldn't fix the fence ????
I had my guys cut the adjoining yard because of the path the mower made from the garden to the tree. Not sure if that was a good idea.

#81 ·
Yeah thats a pretty funny story.. I didn't see if it said what actually happened to the WB..

Anyway, I have been out of town for the past couple of days. My wife and I had to get away from the kids. We went to Lake Tahoe; Here are some pics:

Sky Plant Mountain Plant community Tree

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle

Water Sky Blue Fluid Beach

#82 ·
nice trip and nice work man. i may sound like everyone else but, you should look into a used 32" (seems like the perfect size) on craigslist, and then keep a 21" on the trailer for the properties with those stairs that came up earlier. Good Luck though!:)

#83 ·
Thank you for the compliment. Yes I have been keeping my eye open for a good 32 or 36. I just haven't found one that I can afford. If I find one in my budget I'll snatch it up for sure. It'll make quick work of the jobs I have.

#85 ·
How have you been so for one craigslist.com?
Posted via Mobile Device
Honestly I haven't had much of anything come through from craigslist as far as I know. I ask pretty much everybody who calls where they found me, and nobody has mentioned craigslist. I update my postings regularly too.

#86 ·
check out searchtempest.com

my daily searches yes DAILY are
36 toro
36 exmark
36 bunton
36 bobcat
36 scag
36 ferris
36 mower
36 walkbehind
36 walk behind

Just search all of those everyday under the all cities together tab and you will find one way faster (replace 36 with 32 for you )

Search tempest searches all of the CL pages near you within however many miles you want

#87 ·
Oh I thought you meant how am I doing with obtaining business from craigslist.. yeah I search CL everyday for mowers. I'll check that out. THanks.

#88 ·
Ok so here are some pictures of my "lawn" I installed about 10 days ago. First, let me give you a little background on it; DONT COMMENT UNTIL YOU'VE READ THIS FIRST, ALSO, THE GRASS LOOKS WAY BETTER IN PERSON.. FOR SOME REASON IT LOOKS LUMPY IN THE PICTURES, BUT ITS VERY FLAT AND FULL LOOKING:

My daughter is 3 years old. She LOVES grass. As most of you know, we live in the mountains, and happen to live on a lot that is very hilly, and dont have a lot of flat areas. Whenever we go on walks, or go visit family in the flat lands, my daughter has a blast playing in the grass.

I had this over grown ugly rosemary bush that I removed a few weeks back. One day while my daughter was taking her afternoon nap, I thought maybe it'd be nice to surprise her with grass when she woke up. So I quickly went outside to a small, relatively level area, and leveled it some more, filled in some low spots with some potting soil I had lying around, and went down to Lowes and bought a few rolls of sod. When she woke up and saw the grass, she was pretty excited. Yesterday I built a little border out of some 2x3's I had lying around and steaked them in with a few 1x2's. Then I used some wood stain I had lying around and stained the wood real quick.. Not perfect, but hey, it was for my 3 year old daughter and she is happy!

Wood Plant Road surface Rectangle Grass

Plant Wood Grass Wood stain Road surface

Plant Wood Grass Wood stain Plank

#89 ·
Not that anybody cares.. But yesterday I took a bunch of stuff out of my garage and took all the equipment off the wall and started from scratch with how I organize my equip. I built a couple trimmer racks, and have the blowers and hedge trimmer hanging below them. Then I built a couple of small shelves out of fence boards (new ones) for paint and lubes and stuff. I think it looks pretty good.

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Shelf Toy

#91 ·
Are you licensed for applications? I remember you saying that you dont really have grass except for what you just planted, so why the spreader? Good quick racks haha :)
The spreader is for Fert. No license needed.

#93 ·
You dont need a license for fert??? I had always thought they were one in the same??? Could it be different in NY for me?
NY has a rep for being more strict than CA, and that is saying a lot! Only need a license for herbicides.. So I can apply just fert, but not weed n feed or anything with a herbicide in it.

#95 ·
Well thats something to know about for sure man, especially since you already have some accounts. Thats important.

#97 ·
I was able to hire a helper. She's cheap because she's only 3 1/2 :)

Plant Green Walk-behind mower Grass Mower

#99 ·
Shame on you...where are her steel toe boots, eye and ear protection?!?! And isn't that hose gonna get mulched? LOL
eh, just like all the other cheap labor: If she reports me, I'll have her deported! :usflag::hammerhead:

#100 ·
Here is a little clean up I did today. The customer (my barber) didn't want me to do any weed trimming, so nevermind the weeds that are left. I think it turned out great!

Plant Building Plant community Window House

Plant Building Window Property House

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.