Lawn Care Forum banner

My work

27K views 124 replies 16 participants last post by  zechstoker 
#1 ·
Alright, here's my equip / work pics from today. Remember people, I'm just starting out. These are my only two accts so far, and they happen to be only a couple of doors down from one another. The first one was TERRIBLE when I started two weeks ago. All the edges were about 1 1/2 feet tall of weeds.. the beds were full of weeds.. The rock/retaining wall was full of weeds... so its a work in progress. My edges will look better and better as the grass gets fuller.

The second (larger) one is a little dry. I started this one today. Before I did it, you couldn't even see the top of the bricks (border) really, because the edges were so horrible.. anyway, please be nice :)

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car

Plant Building Window Tree House

Plant Window Wheel Car Vehicle

Wheel Plant Tire Car Property

Plant Sky Tree Road surface Building

Plant Window Building Tree Road surface

See less See more
#102 ·
Thanks Darryl.

#103 ·
You're welcome.

A little suggestion for you...what I did when I was first starting out. You can buy little plastic business card displays for like $1 each and ask if businesses that you deal with on a regular basis, such as your barber, will let you put one on their counter. Just them letting it be there acts as an endorsement/referral of sorts. I put about six of them out and got a fair amount of work out of them, although they did all disappear after a while.

#104 ·
Actually my barber already approached me about this a couple months ago. So far nothing has come from it. But thanks for the idea.

#105 ·
Not that anybody cares.. But yesterday I took a bunch of stuff out of my garage and took all the equipment off the wall and started from scratch with how I organize my equip. I built a couple trimmer racks, and have the blowers and hedge trimmer hanging below them. Then I built a couple of small shelves out of fence boards (new ones) for paint and lubes and stuff. I think it looks pretty good.
How do you like the snapper mowers?

#107 · (Edited)
Thanks Zech... When I showed up, I was a little unsure of myself, but after I just started hacking away, just shy of an hour later, I was impressed with the results.

As far as the Snappers go, I like them very much. My homeowner model is quite the machine too. It mulches AMAZINGLY. I have cut about 5 inches of lawn in one pass mulching, with no signs of clippings in the lawn. Its great. Oh yeah and SUPER fast self propelled.

The Hi-Vacs are crazy good baggers. I haven't tried mulching with it yet so I can't rate that ability. But it will pack every cubic inch of that bag until the engine wants to die because its so overloaded. Great machines. They arent the fastest machines, but a bigger drive pulley fixes that problem.

#108 ·
Alright, here's my equip / work pics from today. Remember people, I'm just starting out. These are my only two accts so far, and they happen to be only a couple of doors down from one another. The first one was TERRIBLE when I started two weeks ago. All the edges were about 1 1/2 feet tall of weeds.. the beds were full of weeds.. The rock/retaining wall was full of weeds... so its a work in progress. My edges will look better and better as the grass gets fuller.

The second (larger) one is a little dry. I started this one today. Before I did it, you couldn't even see the top of the bricks (border) really, because the edges were so horrible.. anyway, please be nice :)
Do you have any picture of the inside of the trailer? I would really like to see how those trimmer are staying in place. Look great by the way!!:clapping:

#109 ·
Actually, my "trimmer rack" just fell apart going down the road last week. It held up for like 4 months though. I made it out of wood, and had screw in hoods with rubber tie downs keeping them in place. Worked very well for a while.

#111 ·
Ah no biggie. I'm just keeping the trimmer in the bed of the truck right now. If I continue in the biz and get a bigger trailer, I'll install some real racks.

Here's a pic of my mom's lawn from this weekend. I had to drive an hour to do it.. But how do you say no to momma?

Plant Road surface Asphalt Land lot Grass

#112 ·
Ah no biggie. I'm just keeping the trimmer in the bed of the truck right now. If I continue in the biz and get a bigger trailer, I'll install some real racks.

Here's a pic of my mom's lawn from this weekend. I had to drive an hour to do it.. But how do you say no to momma?
Looks awesome man!!

Have you made a Facebook business page yet? I will PM you the link to mine, since some people on here like to act like kids on here and make fun of people trying to make things happen with so little equipment.

#113 ·
Well everyone... I have decided to sell... I already have a buyer, and the transaction should be complete by the end of the week or so.. Thanks all for your advice; I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

#115 ·
I had 4, but yeah I'm selling the biz.. The accts and enough equip to get him started. I'm not making a killing or anything; I'm just getting a little cash to buy supplies to get prepared for the end of the world :)

#117 ·
For sound and wise advice, I know I can always count on you, Darryl. :)

Oh, and thanks for the song... Jerk! lol

I may get back into it at a later time. I do enjoy the work, but having no job at all, the little bit of work I get out of it is simply frustrating. I can make more selling the biz, then I would holding on to my current clients in about 5 months time. I hate the name of my biz anyway.. If I ever start over it'll be something very simple. I love the logo though... but oh well, I'll have to think of a new one.

#120 ·
Darryl,

I really wish I didn't have to quit... But there's more to it than just simple math.

Kkane,

They were not very much... 20, 25, and 30.

#122 ·
Well everyone... I have decided to sell... I already have a buyer, and the transaction should be complete by the end of the week or so.. Thanks all for your advice; I guess it just wasn't meant to be.
Sorry to hear it came to that. I totally understand though. Can I still call you for backup when needed?
Posted via Mobile Device

#123 ·
Sorry to hear it came to that. I totally understand though. Can I still call you for backup when needed?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I'm still around, and still have the necessary equipment. I've applied for a job for Modesto PD, so we'll see if that works out.

#124 ·
Oh, I had a feeling they were low, 30 is my minimum and I am done in 20 mins on that one for a third acre, I average about 45-50 mow blow and go, 45*10 weekly = a good chunk of change for a 15 year old kid. Until I get legit... then it gets real
Yeah good for you man. That is a good chunk of money. Bank it dude..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.