My worst day in this business so far.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Jun 2, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I had about 10 accounts to take care of today that were all 21" walkbehind jobs and they were all 12" tall from nonstop rain. I show up at the first job with my older Honda commercial which I use most of the time and my brand spanking new Husqvarna Commercial that I have been carrying around just incase the Honda fails but have never used it once yet. I trimmed and grabbed the Honda and mowed the first 3 passes and shut it down to dump the bag and when I went to restart it, It flat out wouldn't start. I was like WTF, it was just running and its full of gas. So after 5 minutes of intense pulling on the rope I decided to grab the Husky with the 6 horse Kawasaki. I was so proud of this mower I hadn't even used it yet even though it rode around on my trailer for 3 months. I tried to start it and same results, nothing at all other than me becoming really tired and very pissed off. I ended driving all the way back to my house which was 12 miles away and grabbed my good old John Deere JX75. It started on the first pull and I was so relieved. But when I went into the grass the BBC spring let the motor run wide open and stopped the blade dead in its tracks.:angry: By this point I was totally ready to FUBAR anyone who approached me. 3 Commercial mowers not working all at the same time and I accounts to do yet. Later in the day I worked on them. The Honda was bad gas, our precious $4.00 per gallon gas sucksass and gums up carbs in no time. The Husky was the cable adjustment for the on/off handle, I realized I had no spark and went from there. Who ever set it up never checked it out before I purchased it. The John Deere took alittle adjusting. All problems were minor but to have them all 3 bite the dust first thing in the morning really pisses a guy off.

2. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

look on the bright side, you were alone

nothing like a belt blowing on your rider and having 3 dumb goobers stand around and watch you try to fix it while you pay them 10 bucks an hour

hah i run 3 people and have 4 weedwackers, 3 backpacks 2 walkbehinds and one rider at all times, and still end up having all of something break and waste time sometimes...

just grin and bear it!!

3. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

so you had a brand new mower that you never started before?

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I usually fire things up in the morning before I head out mowing.

5. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh:....that was good..

6. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

The goobers that cost $20 + an hour, that's frustrating... all our labor cost that much around here now. No such thing as $10 anymore, hasn't been like that for years...:cry:

:)

7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

How do you have a new mower that doesn't get started for 3 months? I thought it was common practice to make the new one the main unit, and the older one the backup?

8. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

If thats the WORST thing thats ever happened to you. You should consider yourself lucky. It could be A LOT worse!

9. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

sometimes you can get "lucky" have have summer help at 10 bucks

i agree though, peopl eon the books cost me almost 23 an hour to keep, if there not making me money, get the heck out!!

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

When it rains, it pours...