My yard is devouring paper!!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Michiganlawn, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Michiganlawn

Michiganlawn LawnSite Member

I recently built a home in a wooded area comprised of mostly red pines. The ground is very fine sand. I had a lot of top soil brought in and put in my yard, with irrigation of course, this past summer. I had a pot set aside of just the original soil and there happened to be some thin pieces of paper in the pot. I noticed a few months later that the sandy soil was consuming the paper!

Can anyone tell me what is causing this?

2. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

microbes in the soil. normal.

3. Michiganlawn

Michiganlawn LawnSite Member

I have a wood foundation, should I be concerned?

4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Most ground contact lumber used in construction will be pressure treated with some type of preservative. Some manufacturers will warrenty their "permanent wood foundations" up to 75 years. This treated material generally is also resistant to termites. I suspect that whatever wood you have in contact with the ground must be treated.

Lots of people will use a layer of newspapers out in their gardens. The paper will break down (rate depending upon various conditions) into organic matter, but in the mean time it can attract benefitial worms and also help keep weeds down. In your case, I'd think that small strips of newspaper could benefit that sandy soil that you have in your pots. Sandy soil doesn't retain water well, nor hold nutrients. So any organic matter, such as newspaper confetti, could help.