My yearly validation Post.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by White Gardens, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

lotta agrarian history there, thanks for posting.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

No problem, I like to share. [​IMG]

It's been a great place to work at. It's rare to be able to work on a place with history, and as a former farm boy, I've taken it all in.

We do grounds maintenance (everything but mowing) at the place also, so I get to see first hand how the work we've done has been holding up.

That and we've done some renovation on other sections, just to clean up the side yard and old fence lines close to the house.

3. White Gardens

So just an update.

I tried using wall cap adhesive to set the studs for the post. FAIL!!!

So I had to remove the studs I set in, re-drill them to remove any adhesive.

I did find a two part epoxy in a caulk tube. The stuff is specifically designed for anchoring into concrete and mixes itself as it goes through the tip. The tip for the tube was super long, so I was able to get lots of it cleanly into the holes. As soon as I filled a hole, I sunk the studs and I'm glad I did as the stuff started to set almost immediately.

I did a quick pull test and they seemed like they were in place. Though the cure time for the temperature was only 30 minutes, I thought I would at least wait 24 hours before bolting down the post to be on the safe side.

I also shot a glob of it on a board I had and the stuff is rock hard and couldn't believe how fast it set up.

I should have had this all done by now, but knowing the adhesive failed, I waited until the temps were high enough again to re-sink the studs. Being almost 70* today, I think I did good by waiting. That and we've been doing final fall cleanups along with another big/little landscaping job I needed to get knocked out.

If this crazy weather holds, I might still fit in another 2 hardscaping jobs before the weather goes south.

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Was it made by hilti? That stuff is the bomb
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. White Gardens

Not exactly sure, I'll have to look at the empty tube and let you know.

6. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

That old pic and the update pic together are really neat. I also love working on historic properties. I think we've been at 3? Something about being on that ground makes you feel really connected to the past and it's inspiring.

But yea, the owners are usually (and understandably) a bit more particular about things when compared to your average homeowner.

7. White Gardens

Finally done!

Post went in without a hitch, get it, without a hitch. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]