My Zmaster Eats Spindles

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DI1234, Aug 21, 2004.

1. DI1234

DI1234 LawnSite Member
    from toronto

Hello Everyone:

I have a 4 year old, 72" Toro Zmaster 255 with about 350hrs on it. I use it to maintain about 5 acres of regularly cut lawn at my hobby farm near Toronto.

I'm about to put my 4th center spindle on this machine and from what I've read in the achieves of this forum I should still easily be on my first.

My local dealer has gone out of business, so I'm hoping someone out there could give me some advise on what might be going on.

Thanks,

David

2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Things are not right. I am not an expert on this machine, but things are afoul. Thinking out loud, it would likely reflect on the condition of the deck where the spindle is mounted, the regularity of the greasing of the spindle or most likely, the tension of the belts. Check all of these and report back to this forum.

3. DI1234

DI1234 LawnSite Member
    from toronto

Thanks Jim:

I can tell you that it gets lots of good quality grease. Not sure how I am to reply to your question about the belt tension? Please let me know. I'd sure appreciate your help !

David

4. jim dailey

I am asuming that it is a 3 spindle machine. Could one side have the belts pulling too tight on the center spindle? That would wear on the spindle excessively. Also, the old spindle that you have removed. Where is it? How about taking it apart and seeing where the damage has occured? Let me know what you think.

5. DI1234

DI1234 LawnSite Member
    from toronto

Thanks again!
    I'll try to take some photos of the deck and spindle over the weekend if you wouldn't mind looking at them!

David

6. jim dailey

The pulley on the center spindle would have to be a double pulley. Check that for damage. And who is changing these spindles? You or the shop? When does the warranty run out?

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You should be able to take it to any dealer that sells that brand of equipment, not just the one you bought it from. Otherwise, I'd go with Jim's advice.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

examine the deck very closely. you may have hit a rock with the center spindle at one point and bend the mounting flange. this will chew up a bearing pretty quick.

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you replacing the whole assembly or just the bearings?

Oldtimer

10. DI1234

DI1234 LawnSite Member
    from toronto

Thanks everyone for your posts.

I've decided to replace everything from the blades on up to the greese fitting.
    I hope this will work!

Best regard,

David