Mycorrhizae and it's benefits to turf management

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Go-Green Lawn Care, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Go-Green Lawn Care

Go-Green Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Have any of you guys had any luck with mycorrhizae applications on areas (and surrounding areas) of the lawn that are not getting enough sunlight this time of year, and are suffering because of it.

With a good mycorrhizal "web" in the soil, wouldn't the grass that's lacking the photosynthesis it needs to flourish (grass in the shade) be able to pull nutrients from other parts of the lawn that is getting adequate sunlight. Maybe I'm way off, but thanks anyway.

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

thats a no go,,,,, it may help but...............not that great, no pullling any thing like that

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Step away from the light, sorry another thread

Photosynthesis allows for the storage and exudation of carbons (basically), less photosynthsis and you will probably have less exudates from the plant. meaning less food for the fungi since it is a symbiotic realtionship.

HHHHMMMM what to do, beside 2 shooters and a cold glass of beer, lets think this through, if there is less photosynthesis and less exudates (probably) how else could we support the herd to provide them food to increase soil ferility

I give up !!! what?

but its right in my eyes,,,,,,step back.

sorry must have been something from the 70's
    They say, if you remember the 60's then you weren't there

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey TG we posted at the same time, it must be fate

OH OH, I think its Phil, I'm in deep doo doo next time I visit

5. Go-Green Lawn Care

I actually just read that it can suppress plant growth. They supposedly need more photosynthesis to make up for the carbon being absorbed by the mycorr...Bummer.

I'd still love to hear some first hand results If any of you have any.

6. treegal1

no its me, I made phill get his own, he is prometheus.

7. treegal1

results, dont have a paper or science thingy, but one time I had some myco left over in a tank, took the deep root feeder of a wrote my name and # real big, the course super was on the phone the next month, asking what it was i used for that, he wanted the whole course to look that good, told him to call me the next day and if he lost my # it was on the 10th fair way, you could see it from the space station!!!!!!!!!!!!

he is a great friend now and loves my work, it saves his butt some times.

8. Go-Green Lawn Care

9. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

KB lawn... shade... = overseed shaded area with red fescue mix... blends well enough.. does better in shade. Good luck in FL with that one!

10. Go-Green Lawn Care

What about maybe a good aeration followed by some d-glucose to make up for the lack in light energy????