Mycorrhizae

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by lawncuttinfoo, Mar 12, 2008.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it alive?

How well does it store?

How long can it be stored?

What is the preferred method of application to established turf, Tablets, Soluble, Granuals or Gel?

How often would be good to apply to established turf?
    twice a year

How many applications would be a good amount to get a good population thriving?
    several years

Once you have a good population of mycorrhizae will it support itself with no need to continue applications?

I just found some answers on www.Mycorrhizae.com and filled in some answers from there, but feel free to correct me.

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know the answers to all of your questions...yet.

But I've been experimenting with just the endo-mycorrhizae for a couple of years now when I do fall seeding and renovation work; at first in "side-by-side" plots, to convince myself.
    I was very happy with the difference in the root density after only a 6 weeks or so.

I debated about what FORM to apply it in, and settled with the finest sprayable form I could find...in order to get the best spore / soil contact that I could. It is actually a formulation for growing vegetables, etc hydroponically that I've used.

I use the "Hydroponic" formulation from these folks:
    http://www.fungi.com/mycogrow/index.html

From what I understand, the object is to 'infect' the turf with the spores.
    So long as the turf that's infected stays alive, the spores should stay alive, too. (Very much like 'Milky Spore' works for controlling grubworms) But others more experienced on this site may correct me a little on that.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

There is an article on it on our website http://www.ictorganics.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/articles.detail/articleID/6/index.htm

Our 1-2-3 product has lots and lots of it in it, mostly endo but some ecto as well. We use "teams" in our fomulations, what are called Mycorrhizae Helper Bacteria. The mycorrhizae has a sysmbiotic relationship with the root and the bacteria have a symbiotic relationship with the mycorrhizae. It is a good support system for the beneficial microorganisms

If you can use something like this after core aerating it really works well. We have some trails going on at a golf course for sodding applications too, we'll see when the warm weather gets here but all indications are that it is an excellent application.
    Anytime the soil is disturbed if you can spray an inoculant like this it improves the long term health and vigor of the turf.

Mycorrhizae are excellent at mining phosphorous, it seems when there is too much of it in the soil they kind of go to sleep and don't do much. When phosphorous levels are low they really kick it up a knotch and work very well.

Some documents show 400% increase in root area in plants that have been inoculated with mycorrhizae, talk about increased drought resistance