Mycorrhizal spores float in water solution?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Mr. Nice, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Mr. Nice

Mr. Nice LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

I was wondering if anybody out there has experienced or observed that when commercial mycorrhizal products consisting of common endo ecto blends on powdered carriers are put into solution that a majority of these spores will float to the surface and the carrier will sink once agitated and left to settle?

These are some picture's I took , you can see the large circular spores floating that i believe to be some of the glomus family species possibly?, I noticed none at lower depths in solution except smaller "possible" spores of unknown type.

In some of the pictures it may look like there are large clear spores too, but it is the way the light is refracting of smaller deeper materials that is causing that effect as I recall.

Any feed back would be much appreciated.

DSCN1713.jpg

DSCN1718.jpg

DSCN1720.jpg

DSCN1721.jpg

DSCN1724.jpg

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

yes they float they are dry to start= more air than water. most of the time we use a myco powder we let them set in water over the days before we use them 24 hours or so. also what is the water got in it to start with??? more dense water = better float like dead sea water..........

3. treegal1

most spores I thought were low water to start with????? maybe tim or kiril will help here...............

4. Mr. Nice

Mr. Nice LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

they use sugar water for a gradient i think, more dense, you where right the first time.
    thanks for the tip about soaking

5. Mr. Nice

Mr. Nice LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

O yah..... i only used RO water

6. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

cool pictures how did you do that? Is that a microscope?

Most dry inoculums have a clay base, the clay will sink to the bottom for sure

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I think that is a safe bet (given moisture is a germination requirement), but I can dig through my archive if you want.

8. treegal1

it also would appear to me that that is a cotton seed meal base. is that myco from terranova or O labs??

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

That is some cool pics