Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawnproslawncare, Mar 15, 2008.

Do you use to advertise your business

1. YES

14 vote(s)
  2. NO

111 vote(s)
  1. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

How Many of you use myspace to advertise your business?
  2. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

Don't take this personally if you use Myspace for your company, but what message is that sending to your customer? How much does it really cost to have your own domain these days? I know no one in my area is going to buy anything more than a mulch delivery if I only had a myspace site. Their 7 year old probably has one too! Not very professional in my opinion. In today's market, customers are doing more research and referencing online than they are looking through local papers and periodicals. I wouldn't say it's the same everywhere, but there is value to having your own site that offers more than pop-ups, ads, and a few pics of work.
  3. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Nope, unless I was 14 years old and bored. Advertise - pay for it. it will pay off.
  4. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope, most of the people on there are still in school, they don't need lawn care.
  5. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

doesn't seem smart to me, but that may just be me....

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

It seems like a weird idea, but someone was just telling me the plastic surgeon that did their nose job uses his Facebook page to advertise his practice. But I bet a lot of his patients are younger females, not the same demographic that hires a lawn service.
  7. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I will say this. I picked up three accounts last season buy simply posting a bulletin to letmy friends know I was looking for more yards. Here's the thing..yes...the majority of the members are my age or younger in their 20's. However, these people have PARENTS and GRANDPARENTS. Two of those jobs came from one girl who turned me on to her parents and her grandmother. If it is free, what does it hurt and what does it cost you?
  8. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

I also agree; in 2006, I had a couple clients come from myspace. They were my friends' parents, so it really does pay off to do some FREE advertising.
  9. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

i don't see how this can possibly be a bad idea.

What is wrong with marketing to future customers? If presidential candidates have myspace pages, i don't think it can be sending an "unprofessional" message for lawn care companies. You guys that say that obviously take yourselves pretty seriously. it's lawncare!!
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Their standards are sometimes pretty low. Perhaps a better standard of acceptability is in order.