MYTH #2: Immigrant workers

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by patron, Jan 26, 2008.

1. patron

patron LawnSite Member

MYTH #2: Immigrant workers suppress the wages of American workers.
    FACTS: The overwhelming majority of economists agree that immigrants increase the
    economic productivity and thus the wages of natives.

A 2006 study by University of California, Davis, economist Giovanni Peri found that
    because immigrant workers generally “complement”—rather than substitute for—native
    workers in terms of their education and skills, immigration tends to increase the
    productivity, and therefore the wages, of natives.

As a result of this “complementarity,” the White House Council of Economic Advisers
    concluded in a 2007 report that roughly 90 percent of native-born workers experience
    wage gains from immigration, which total between $30 billion and $80 billion per year.
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

who are the 90% that see increaced income? Business owners of those on the bottom of the wage scale? And is the study talking about legal, illegal, or all immigrants?
  3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

You can make a study or a survey come out anyway you want it to.
  4. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

And while Davis is a top notch university it's also wildly liberal. In other words it wouldn't be a stretch to think there is an agenda being promoted :).

On the other hand may be completely correct but I would point out that there is a beneficial saturation point with immigration. Some immigration (legal) can have a net benefit to the economy but when allowed to increase uncontrollably it spells disaster especially with increasing entitlement programs.
  5. patron

patron LawnSite Member

This was part of a pdf file called TOP 5 IMMIGRATION MYTHS OF THIS CAMPAIGN SEASON:
    Not sure where I got but can email it if you post an address.

Grain of salt not included.
  6. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

It's pretty simple at least from a owners stand point. You put one "native" in charge of 3 "immigrants", the crew will be more productive than a crew of "natives" so owner can pay "native" more for supervising/translating. I do belive given the choice if the workers/work ethic was equal most companies would hire "natives", problem is there not equal. I have talked to I contractor who in his terms of his company has one "white boy", 3 gutamaens, he said they will out work a "white boy" any day of the week. He even had a female immigrent, said she was the best landscape bed detailer he's had. You have to remember, they can't drive, you have to arange for housing, languge barriers, etc. There is a lot more that goes into it than just hirinng a "native", that's why I say given the choice, most would hire "natives".
  7. patron

patron LawnSite Member

I agree 100%
    Guys like me all have a story of how you hit rock bottom, and figure going H2B can't be any worse than what I have to put up with locals.
  8. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

The rich "fat cats" set up Nafta, and looked the other way to let in illegals so big business could get cheap labor and the rich get richer.
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I think that ball to the head must have rattled something loose.
  10. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

So is it myth # 3, 4, or 5 that talks about how many billions illegal aliens cost our education system? It is funny how so many people can find the bright spot to the whole illegal alien situation; guess it is much easier then actually trying to find a way to fix the problem.

Please provide a link, I would be interested to see the entire list.