N K Balance Fertilizers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Traunc, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Traunc

Traunc LawnSite Member
    from Hope

whats an average yearly application schedule for an N K Balance fertilizer. I am dealing with Anthracnose and i have to keep up the phosphorus and potassium levels in the soil but i was told not to use a lot of nitrogen. I was told to use an NK balance fert.. i was just wondering if anyone had any information on the possible application rates and times to apply..

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

well, N = nitrogen P= Phosphorous and K = Potassium,so when you are saying you received advice (hopefully based on good local information) to keep your N levels low and yet you want to apply a N-K balanced fert(likely meaning N & K at a 1 to 1 ratio). I'm not sure where you are going with it.

As far as rates and timing goes, it would be more helpful to know turf type, your area conditions, soil conditions and whatever else may have lead to anthracnose in the first place.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

N and K will leach from your soil but P tends to stay stable. However N to K ratios will effect P even it no P is applied or If P is applied.

Excessive N to K ratio will cause P to leach. 7 or 8 to 1 N to K will leach P 3 to 1 or 2 to 1 will cause P to remain stable. and 1 to 2 or higher will help P build in the soil.

There is a lot of High tech chemistry involved in this ratio and how it works. I am not quite sure if I understand it fully and therefore will not even attemp to try and explain it. However this information comes from a university Study a few years ago that I read and discussed with a PhD Agronomist at that time.

Soil sample of course are the best way to go. But I have also found off the shelve Shrub Fertilizer which has Higher P and K to work well on turf when I didn't want or need N. Anthracnose is not a big problem on St Augustine turf and therefore I can not give you any Real Life in Field experience on it.