N source in Fert app

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Mar 1, 2008.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I have been working with a Turf/Fert dealer in my area who is promoting a 15-0-7 product for primary lawn feeding (I live in MN). Primary source of N is Ammonium Nitrate, dealer says has low acid/salt index. Seeing that this product seems to be all fast release N, does it seem appropriate for feeding a northern lawn in spring and more importantly, fall? It seems to be there should be some form of slow release N in the product (one bag applies 0.85 lbs of N per 1K).

What do you guys think about this - I want to be sure I am getting a quality product, and I really don't want to burn lawns with this stuff.

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I believe you would have to be a little more specific, there are about 20 zillion fertilizers out there

Does it "seem to be not slow release" or is it. What is the exact make up?

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

.85 is less than a pound/K. That is not going to burn turf. Ammoniium Nitrate is great for a fast greenup no matter when you apply it other than when temps hit 95 degrees or more. Most SCU fertilizer is slower in release. Check out the Anderson's, Uflexx, or Lesco's SCU make up.

4. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

We use a 15-5-10 in April but that's on all of our Bermuda lawns. Heck with all the snow, you guys won't even see grass til July.

5. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Ammonium nitrate is not slow release at all. It is probably the most readily available N source. You'll see a quick response, and in my experience, it doesn't last very long at all. As far as salt index, it is the basis point for the scale - 100. Low salt ferts are below 100. Whether a quick release fert is needed, and at what rate, well, that's up to you to decide. I won't offer an uninformed opinion on Northern turfgrasses!

But if you're looking for a slow release, low salt fert, this isn't it.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Ok guys, here is a web link to the fert I am speaking about. This is the version with Phos. in it, pls keep in mind that I would not be applying P here in MN due to regulations. The no-phos version is the same makeup, just minus the P. What is your take on this stuff for general turf feeding. (Thanks for the info so far!)

http://www.specialtyturfag.com/index_i6284185.html?catId=259552

7. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing wrong with that fert at all.

SOP is good, and a lower salt index tham MOP. I don't know that I'd call the blend a "low salt" formula, but it's certainly not a "high salt" blend.

But none of the N is slow release. How would "homogenizing" the mix make it a slow release like they claim?

8. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I won't use a fertilizer that releases as fast as ammonium nitrate unless the lawn is looking very lean or pale green in the spring. At the rate you mention you will get a big spike in growth, if there is adequate moisture. If you apply a fast release N source in April or early May you may not see any result because the grass is growing so fast already, assuming it had some fertility the previous fall.

Whenever possible it is best to stick with a slow release product as mentioned by RAlmaroad. Polyon fertilizers are also very good slow release products.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

quiet - thanks for looking at this fert makup I appreciate it.
    Pardon my ignorance but what does SOP vs MOP mean?
    And I agree with you, this fert contains no slow release N.
    Perhaps someone else can chime in on the 'homogenizing' process and how it might make these N sources longer-releasing. Thanks!