1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

N uptake

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, May 7, 2009.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Another thread made me wander...

Knowing that microbes store N, what forms of N are they capable of storing? Does it have to be broken down N that comes from items such as grass clippings, or manure, OR can they also store already available N such as what is found in synthetic ferts? In Kirils chart I would assume my "already available N" would be the NH3-

On his chart the N is taken up or broken back down and released back into the atmosphere?

What technical form of N is found in synthetic ferts and Urea?
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Both forms (ammonium & nitrate).
  3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

4. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Also know that the simple N like Ammonium and Nitrate inside microbes is used to build complex molecules AKA proteins... like those found in DNA... This means that it is not necessarily stored in plant available form once it has entered the biomass. When the microbe dies it needs to be broken down to be plant available...
  5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Or when the microbe is eaten by something else, for instance protozoa eat bacteria, certain nematodes like to eat bacteria, just like with worms the poop is great fertilizer in a plant available form

Its little tiny poop but the numbers can be pretty staggering, On some testing we had done last year there were over 12,000 of ONE TYPE per ml of soil
  6. RLawns

RLawns LawnSite Member

where is the chart of kirils?

7. DeepGreenLawn

double post, the next one is better...
  8. DeepGreenLawn

I kind of answered my own question, just had to jog my memory...

Revisited a few lawns and spoke with a few of my now organic customers and they all were experiencing great greening. I showed up to one of my existing organic customers that I picked up earlier this year and called to be sure he didn't apply any additional fertilizer to his lawn to cause such great greening.

We have been getting a lot of rain lately and these lawns have been using their stored N to green up and grow. I learned a big lesson and my faith in organics went through the roof as well as my understanding of the MAJOR importance of proper watering. I guess sometimes seeing is believing AND understanding.

SO, with that said, it was obvious also that the synthetic N is able to be stored in the soil for use later on. As I haven't put down any high doses of N on these yards, one I haven't touched due to her coming on so late, and they look just as good as the other synthetic lawns next door.
  9. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

10. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

so we are back to air, water and the HERD again.......................

thanks for the link Kiril, I am away from my "home" pc and needed something like that.....sorry I cant help with the ric/rod beatings now.....