N uptake

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, May 7, 2009.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Well.... don't mean to be hard headed, but as we all know, reading and studying something is all good but seeing it first hand really hammers it in.

More of a refresher?

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

It's not my chart, just one I link to that I have seen many times throughout the years.
    Ammonium should also have a very small arrow to plant uptake.

nitrogen_cycle_EPA.jpg

3. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

4. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

oops sorry wrong thread

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

So composters produce ammonium... From there - nitrifying bacteria turn it into No2- or what might be called.. Nitrites.

Next...

They become Nitrates because of the activity of 'Nitrifying Bacteria' - known as - NO3- ...

From there they are either - asimilated into the plant directly , as NO3- or - the NO3- dissipates into the atmosphere.

Is that a fair assesment of the chart??!?

6. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

it returns to the atmosphere as N2 a gas, i believe the O is striped off and used and in that process the n is gased off if you will from the organium

7. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

possibly nitric oxide ? [NO] can gas off too? would make sence but i would think it to be small compared to the N2 being released

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

There doesn't seem to be much explanation in the chart, just that denitrifying bacteria ruin the NO3- and it gets lost to the atmosphere.
    Couldn't tell you if there is [NO] gas in the atmosphere.

I wonder how much N2 might get fixed into NH4+ if the air was injected directly into the soil. I remember that injectors were used to inject Nitrogen Gas into the soil. The N gas was 80% by volume. :)

9. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

Can I put that graph on my website? I need as much visual information for my customers as possible.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it is public domain as the source of the image is the EPA. I would still cite the source though.