Nailed Again! / And Another Reason To Buy Hydro!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, Jul 27, 2001.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

while finishing up the weekly mows, TODAY,I got a hurtfull reminder of what has happenend just about every year since I've been in the biz.

a yard that I mowed last week has aquired a yellow jacket nest this week.

and the rest of the story is "EEEYOW, DAM---, SH-- (ucks), HELLFIRE", and other words that I can not post here.

and now the rest of the story.

as I got nailed the first time...I took off! the fate of the OLE LESCO was not on my mind.

to get to the rest of the story, I ran about 150 feet and got stung one more time.

the ole 48 LESCO, belt was crashing along following right behind me but I didn't know it!

as I released the operator handles, the motor died but gravity took over and the ole LESCO crashed down onto the street!

if it had been a hydro, ir would have died and stayed on the bank, I think.

in any event, I am still hurting BAD! but revenge will be sweet. I gotta go. I got something to take care of! hehehe!

GEO

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear it geo. But you are correct. The hydros don't really move after the power is off.

They do make a nice fireworks display at night. :D

3. JJOHN22042

JJOHN22042 LawnSite Member
    from MA

Went to grab the Ladder the other day and what do I grab attached to the ladder a Wasp nest. Never knew I could run so fast. THen to top it off the Guy across the street saw the whole thing. Went to the depot and got some Spray boy did I feel better after the big kill lol.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

4. linky

linky LawnSite Member

The last time that happened to me i was very glad the mower rolled down the hill. Who would want to pull a mower off of a yellow jacket nest anyway? Luckily your mower did not hit any thing. Kill the bees-Kill the bees!

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I know how you feel Geo. One time I hit a stob in the ground and out came yellow jackets and got me as I ran. The JD hdro I had at the time just sat there next to the nest. I had to wait awhile for them to calm down enough to back that thing out. Has to be the worst part of this job. I try to scope out each yard these days but the shady yards are the worst when it comes to spotting them.

6. CandJ

CandJ LawnSite Member

I did the same thing (ran over a wasp nest), except my old Toro went head first into a pond. Went down to the T-bar handle. I had to pull it out with the pickup. Bad day - I was doing my last lawn just before leaving for vacation.:cry:

Needless to say, vacation was postponed for a few more hours...

7. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate to say it, but there really is nothing funnier than watching people run from a bees nest. Unless of course it is you. I average about 10 stings a year. They never get you the first pass over, its always the next pass, then they nail you!!!

8. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

For people who are allergic to bee stings, they are literally running for their lives sometimes. That's about when the humor fades.

9. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Man Lanelle, your always serious :) THis is true about being allergic, but if they aren't allergic it is funny. Everyone laughs at me when I run, so I have to when I see it happen. :D

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

REVENGE IS MINE!

it was swift and deadly! not the most environmentaly responsible way to do it but effective none the less.

about a pint of 87 octane down the hatch did the trick. then I stobbed a 2 litre bottle down the hole just for good measure.

it's amazing. I mowed this place last week and they weren't there. they had drilled a perfect hole about 11/4 inch in diameter and there were no cuttings around the hole. I guess they carry the dirt away.

I'm still hurting in both places. the shot to my underarm above the elbow has made a knot and formed a red place about 3 inches across. DARN he got me good.

in any event, we need to be careful out there!!!

GEO