Name for website

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by PLS-Tx, Jan 3, 2007.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We are wanting to start a Website, and were not sure what name to go with. The name of our bus. is Pat's Lawn Service, WWW.PATSLAWNSERVICE.COM is not available. We are thinking about using WWW.PLS.COM, is this a good idea or not.

Webman, I wanted to send you a private massage about this, but I wasn't able to, but your imput would be appreciated.

2. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

you could shorten it to 'patslawns.com' if available. it would be easy to remember.

3. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Thanks for the suggestion, I checked it out and it looks like someone has it already.

Someone else suggested www.patslawnservicetx.com, I guess that would work, seems kinda long.

I like www.pls.com, short and simple, but will it come up if someone is doing a search for lawn serevice in our area?

4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

have you considered .biz, or .net, .us, etc.?

5. hmalekib

hmalekib Banned

pls.com is really hard domain name to get. Almost all 3 letter domain names have already been registered.

6. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

If PLS.com is available...snap it up. :cool2:
    I am surprised it is, usually initials like that are all long-gone in the dot-com's; and you definitely want dot-com.
    PS: I notice your TX avatar, nice to see a fellow Texan :cool:

OOPS, just went to my site & checked, it's not available...didn't think it would be.
    Try for something as short as possible and easy to remember and definitely dot-com. The other extensions are so seldom used they are almost giveaways. Example right now we have a special from our registrar with dot-info for $2.00, they wouldn't be giving that kind of pricing if there was a demand, last summer or fall (can't recall exactly) they had dot-name the same way for a couple of months.

7. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

PS: The name "coming up" has nothing to do with the name and everything to do with the site if you are talking about search engines, although you will be penalized if you use dot-org and are a business or dot-pro and are not a doctor, or lawyer or such...you can register them but the big search engines like Google figure out your business doesn't match an organization or a "professional service" like doctor, lawyer, accountant, etc.
    The reason you want short, easy to remember, and dot-com is for the people that see it on your trucks or other advertising so it's easy to remember when they get home.

8. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Webman, thanks for the help. I thought pls.com was available, but your right it is not.

I agree with what you are saying with keeping it short, and with using .com, not .net or anything else.

What would you reccommend for a name, again the name of our business is PATS LAWN SERVICE?

9. hmalekib

hmalekib Banned

patslawn.com? short and sweet :)

10. PLS-Tx

from Texas

I think I may just go with that, WWW.PATSLAWN.COM.

Can anyone suggest a good company to go with to set up a simple website?