Name it

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by hmalexan, Feb 23, 2007.

1. hmalexan

hmalexan LawnSite Member

To all of you who own a Landscaping Company if you could go back to day one would you start out with the same business name you have now or would you use a different name? If you were to choose a different name what would it be?
  2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

We did rename the business when we decided we were going to build something that would have value to sell at the end.

We removed our name from the company.

Just something to think about if you want to sell more than a client list when you are done. If you are Johnson's Landscaping and want to sell it to someone who isn't a Johnson ::snicker:: then it would be worth more with another name.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't. I'm satisfied.
  4. hmalexan

hmalexan LawnSite Member

I'm glad you are. What is your business name if you don't mind me asking?
  5. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

We thought for a while about our name, it's a surprisingly hard call. We were going to be zenscapes, but I thought that name pigeonholed us into a 'japanese gardens only' look. Leaf is a good simple name that people remember.
  6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Its our name.
  7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I feel the opposite way. I don't care to ever sell my business... maybe even pass it along in the family one day.

I wish I had incorporated my name into my business name. I feel like people recognize the owner's name much more than the company's name. When people are referring work or talking about someone's work it always seems to be the owner not the company... unless it is a huge company.

I think once you are grossing over 1 mil... it probably doesn't matter either way.