Name my company

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Garipoli, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Garipoli

Garipoli LawnSite Member

My husband is starting a lawn mowing business in Pa. We do not want to use our last name in the company name because of politics... :blob2: ;) I have seen many forums that have some suggestions but I was hoping for some fresh ideas. We have a hold on everything else but we are hitting a wall here. You can't help but judge someone on first appearances and many times that first apprearance may be a customer flipping through a phone book! You can't have a slogan like "Let us trim your bush" just because you think it's funny.. We are looking for something creative but professional. Also, does anyone do payroll in-house...if so has anyone used a good program? Thanks everyone!!!

Oh...we do lawn mowing, lawn installation, hedge shaping and trimming, tree & shrub planting, garden pond design & install, landscape design, small tree & shrub removal, a lot of your basic services. Any help would be wonderful!!
  2. All Season Bill

All Season Bill LawnSite Member

As a creative person I don't like when people just use initials like B & B
    or J & R and just as bad, when people call themselves by only what they do.
    I know an electrical contractor who named his business Electrical Contractors.
    Duh - He needed something with a little more creativity. I knew two or three turf care companies who called themselves Turf Care.
    Find a mascot and work around that. You like eagles? Call it Eagle Mowing and put eagle pics on everything. You like frogs? Call it Lawn Hopper and put a frog on everything...the truck, the stationary etc.
    I knew a guy whose intitials were he called his business ABC plumbing and he had childrens building blocks on everything. So get creative.
    I was in marketing before I got into this crazy business and I'm using my experience to my advantage.

PS Quick story: you mentioned "we'll trim your bush". We always called aerating as plugging
    and you never see the term 'back yard' on paperwork, it always says 'rear'. I knocked on this lady's door and told her I was there to 'plug her rear' and luckily she laughed and I was embarassed.
  3. Garipoli

Garipoli LawnSite Member

Thanks for that advice....funny thing...frogs are my favorite animal. LOL. I work for a company called Rhino Cleaning and a Rhino is on everything...Logo says Tough enough to get the job done right. It's ironic that I wouldn't think of somethign like is so simple. Thanks again!!
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

DO stay away from gimmicks, you're way better off plain jane than smart Al, you're absolutely correct that will backfire. The name of your business to a point decides what kind of customers seek you out, for which reason unfortunately YOU have to come up with it (well between you and your husband), but a smart gimmick is likely to attract some pretty wild mofos, I can promise you would regret the day :laugh:

I can't make the name for you, but I can tell you what parts of it do, in my own experience. For example, 'enterprise' is a bad idea, makes you sound new for one, it's not descriptive for another: Stay away from filler stuff, other than perhaps 'services' such as 'yard services,' but beside that don't fluff out the name.

You DO provide enough services where 'landscaping' or 'yard services' would easily fit into the name without further ado, but stay away from names such as 'economical,' 'general,' or anything else that could be construed as you being 'reasonable,' as this will attract price shoppers.

I further found a location works well, but to a point, here's what I learned:
    "MyCounty services" sounds like you're a large operation, this would work extremely well if you have truckssss and trailerssss...
    "YourOWNNeighborhoodname" attracts, among other folks, every last customer who ever calls that lives in THAT neighborhood will EXPECT a discount... Go figure, on the other hand beside that one drawback I found it works well (the name of my business is "Aneighborhood lawn care"
    Yeah, as in, the actual name of the hood :laugh:
    On that note, 'neighborly' wouldn't work, but 'family' might.

Have to be careful, don't dumb yourself down, don't get smart, but DO state something descriptive about your business.
    In that sense:
    - What is it about you that made you decide to do this?
    - Why are you getting into it?
    - How do you plan on being better, or unique?
    - How much experience do you have?
    - How hard do you plan on working, what results can be expected?
    > Quality? Luxury?
    - Are you 'contracting?'
    > Yes, I think contractor(s) would work, even if it's semi fluffy.

Other things that work well are materials and things, such as 'pebble creek' or 'Oak lawn' or what have you, but not brand names lol.

So then what you do is take these individual tidbits and form a name out of it all.
    For example, you could make like "Tree and Lawn Contractors" or "Pebbles and Stones yard services"
    "care" works well, such as in "tree and lawn care"

well now i'm kinda phhhht out of air, hope that helps.
  5. Garipoli

Garipoli LawnSite Member

Thank you...very helpful. A lot of things that I didn't think about. That helps me to eliminate some of the ones that I did come up with!!!:clapping:
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, no doubt creativity, but I can also guarantee each and every part of the name will come back on you some kind of way.

I'd stay away from frogs, or any other cute stuff.
    Trust me, it's bad enough, they dote on us and patronize and act like we are their slaves and it is a 'privilege' for them to bestow upon us their beautiful lawn so that we may work to feed our starving family of 12, and that's without a frog :laugh:

But there is something to it, certainly the name of the business can be enhanced.
    Id' stay serious, but not V-8 or Nascar serious (redneck customers lol), not sure what to say but no hot dogs either.
    Beer, obviously :laugh:

But you're going to be with it, hopefully for the rest of your life.
    It is, unfortunately, usually unwise to change it later.
    So take your time, you'll do fine.

btw, be yourself, in 20 years.
    Where do you want to be?

Things along the lines of 'class' (as in, classical) might work.
    You DO know lawn mowing IS an art (in addition to a sport), as is landscaping in general.

A good night's rest helps.
  7. Garipoli

Garipoli LawnSite Member

In 20 years we want to have a stable, healthy company with several full-time employees that my husband can oversee without actually having to do a lot of work. I don't want either of us to have to live paycheck to paycheck. We have a 2 yr old and a 1 year old...I want them to see that anything can be achieved if you give it everything you have.

I was originally looking for a name that tells customers that we do work all season. Spring & Fall clean up and snow removal as well...but then brochures or door hangers can do that for us. We are thinking something along the lines of Elite Lawn Care or Elite Lawn Service since mowing will be the biggest part of our business. We did have a list of about 50 but with all the advice we have received we were able to eliminate most of them.
  8. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I like __________ Seasonal Services

It is simple yet professional.
    It allows you to add other services (big or small) without having to change your name.
    It says that you do more than "lawn care" or "landscaping".

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you in the business.
  9. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

How about " No Short Cuts Lawn Care ( or Service ) ?
  10. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Make it something that starts with an A so your the first listing people see in the phone books under your category.