Name that plant-3

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lite4, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I planted these about 3 years ago.

Common Name:
    Botanical Name:

What is your guess?

saguaro plants0005.JPG

saguaro plants0011.JPG

2. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

yucca?
    :>....

3. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

looks like Yucca

4. Twitchy

Twitchy LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like something they run over during the Baja 1000. LOL

5. Lite4

Yes, it is a yucca. What variety?

6. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

no clue on that, none of our around here get up that high.

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm guessing that it is a young Joshua tree.

8. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

hey fly i'm sure thats your up lighting on those

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Its not a Joshua their spines/frawns are shorter, more rigid and more of a gray/blue color.

It looks a little like an elata but not quite, frawns are too wide and not close enough together also missing the white tips.

I have looked at that picture for quite a while on several occasions but I can't figure it out.

We have all kind of yucca's here but not that variety. It must be pretty hardy to take the Indy winters. Yuccas are amazing in their diversity.

10. Lite4

We imported 7 different varieties of trunked Yuccas for this project in Boise. Yucca Elata's fronds are more ridgid and stand straight out from the crown, Yucca brevifolia (joshua tree) has shorter, stiffer leaves that are generally born on multiple branches. This variety of Yucca that is shown has leaves that are pendulous and not nearly as stiff. I will post photos of some of the other Yuccas we planted there also.
    And yes, they are incredibly hardy. They are thriving in the Boise climate. I have found also that, although they are able to withstand very dry conditions, when they are watered very regularly and have very good drainage they produce some absolutely incredibly deep, rich green full foliage and much more rapid growth.