Name That Weed (pics)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mg10117, Jun 10, 2008.

1. mg10117

mg10117 LawnSite Member

Please help me ID this weed...its hard to see but, there are little tiny flowers at the top on some of the larger plants. Thanks again.

everything 018.JPG

everything 019.JPG

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Great pictures MG. If it has tiny blue flowers it is Veronica, (speedwell). It is a winter annual. Sprouts in October and blooms and seeds in spring-it is supposed to die when temps exceed 85 for a few days. Difficult to kill with weed killers. A common problem on sod farms. Be sure to spray for it next October.

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Second that!

I have always called it Corn Speedwell.

It has been very hard to kill this year for some reason with 3 Way and QS.

Thinking maybe the lower temps early on may have affected the application.

4. mg10117

mg10117 LawnSite Member

Yes, it does have tiny blue flowers, I last fertilized and sprayed this lawn about 6 weeks ago with Momentum FX2...it did a decent job on other weeds but really didn’t do so well on this stuff (veronica/speedwell).. Speedwell is listed on its list of controlled weeds too??...

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I have found the same thing!

Must customers hate Chickweed the worse, but this is probably #2 on the list!

You did'nt do anything wrong! I have lawns that have had very good control on everything, but the plantin and speedwell were selected our for some reason! Killed everything else, so that tells me that it was probably something environemental!

As they say....I guess you can't get them all! :laugh:

6. mg10117

mg10117 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help, I guess i wont stress over it...maybe it will die on its own...this is the 3rd strait day of 95 deg + heat..

thanks again.

7. Jerry Andersen

Jerry Andersen LawnSite Member

we are having the same problem in columbus