Name this bug...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HighGrass, Oct 27, 2003.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Eastern boxelder bug. Harmless, they are just an annoyance. As the weather starts to turn colder, they are attracted to warm sunny areas, like the sides of buildings.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have one property that they gather on, every year like clock work. Like Rtom45 said, the gather on the warms sides of buildings in swarms!

4. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Are there different box elder bugs? I looked it up and found a pic but it didn't look the same.
    http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/okwild/misc/images/ebelder.jpg

5. Ground Effects NH

Ground Effects NH LawnSite Senior Member

A few weeks back the local paper had a article about bugs. They showed a pic that looked like the bug in your first post, said it was a stink bug.

6. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

we always called it a stink bug also.

7. Prot1

Prot1 LawnSite Member

As far as i know its a box elder bug. They are easy enough to kill but take a bit longer. I was told by our local extension service that they have to ingest to die but considering the clean themselves immediately after spraying that doesnt take long.

8. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

LAong with the lady bugs, these guys are here about 10 times as many as last year. They are everywhere!:blob2:

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a pic of the Boxelder Bug. Click first image for link.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Yikes...that's the one. I hate the second pic...I'll be having dreams...:sleeping: