name this condition

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TurfPro, May 7, 2003.

1. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Ok, here's the situation:

1. 85* degree temps during the day 70's at night,,VERY high humidity
    2. Ryegrass starting to transition to the Bermuda warm season lawn
    3. lots of rain recently

Problem: Several 6-8" Black circles appearing on lawn .It appears to be some sort of "powder" (like campfire smut) when dry, or a slippery film when wet,,on the grass leaves. I've also noticed very small grey/white "dots" forming on the black film.

What is this? Or point me toward some sort of diagnostic chart for these kinds of things.
    Thanks for your time
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

If I would render a guess, I would say slime mold.
    Slime molds are commonly found on lawns in warm moist weather.
    The fungus causing this unsightly problem does not infect the grass blade; it simply uses it for support. The only effect it has on the plant is to temporarily reduce food production by the grass leaf as a result of shading.

I'm curious to hear others opinion on what this may be.
  3. airborne1

airborne1 LawnSite Member

4. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses,,any more ideas?
  5. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Striped smut?
  6. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Yep, sounds like slime mold. Don't worry it's harmless and should go away without treatment. When the temps get either to high or low and the humidity moderates (if it ever does) it will dissappear. If the customer insists on a treatment I suggest a good quality O'Cedar natural-bristle-broom, brush it vigorously and no more slime mold. Just like magic.