name this fungus

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by fastcat, Jan 30, 2008.

1. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

this crap is growing next to my juniper and smells like a rotten animal on a hot day. what the hell is and how do i get rid of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Can't say I've ever seen it before

3. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

What you're looking at is called a Stinkhorn.

Please google for it and click on images to see more samples. They usually form in decaying organic matter(ie,. mulch) and what you're viewing is the reproductive structures (fruiting bodies). The fungal spores (Mycellium hyphae) are present in the soil and when the conditions are right, they produce the fruiting bodies that come up almost overnight.

To control them, you can step on them or shovel them up.
    Or for some intense entertainment value, pick them up and sling em' at your friends !! LOL
    Just remember, don't do it if you gotta ride with them..

Really, they usually just go away as quickly as they came. To discourage them further, you can take a pitch fork or the like and turn the organic material over to break up the decaying pockets to expose them to the air.
    Hope it helps. :waving:

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Why I do believe there is a fungus among us! Yes that looks like stinkhorn. For real entertainment value, place as much of the fungus as you can stand to handle on the exhaust manifold of the car of your intended victim. Its almost as nauseating as limburger cheese in the same place. Or for added variety stick it in the coat pockets of your intended victim! Yes don't look at it as a pestilence, look at it as an opportunity!:laugh::laugh:

5. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

I've never considered it but I think there's a real market for this fungus.

A great "gift" for those PITA clients, bosses, ex-spouses etc, ETC.

Just think of all the "GIFT GIVING" opportunities and the "Kodak moments" they'll bring !! :laugh::clapping:

6. benjammin

benjammin LawnSite Senior Member

I have been diggin these fvckers up for weeks from pine mulch around the perimeter of my property and the recent warm rain isn't helping. Luckily I have cedar mulch along the house but I'm tempted to try and just kill everything in the vinicity of these things even if nothing else ever grows.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind products like Round-up won't touch a fungus, not trying to break
    bad on you but before you waste a lot of time and money and kill everything
    in the area except the stinkhorns...

Granted I can't say with 100% certainty that it won't kill it, but I'd put a $20 on it LOL
    So I don't think your usual plant killers will phase it, that's just me.

8. benjammin

benjammin LawnSite Senior Member

Oh yeah, I realize that. I was thinking an overdose of some copper and Vitavax fungicide.
    But I was looking at this can of diesel fuel too.