name this perennial grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Aug 8, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Note the seedheads. The foliage is an aqua-green color (this pic doesn't show it cuz I took it an hour ago when it was drizzling and very cloudy). It suddenly appears in early summer here in the Midwest. It has become very widespread in recent years as the seed heads blow around like tumbleweeds.

Any guesses? What product(s) kill it?

windmill grass.jpg

2. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have the same grass in my yard with the same descriptions you wrote of it. It does not cut well either, especially the seedheads. I was considering spraying roundup on mine and re-seeding.

3. americanlawn

from midwest

Sound exactly right. The pic was take right behind our office. I mow this lawn, and I don't go 20 mph when in the w.g. (hint) areas.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I suspect Witchgrass, Panicum capillare.

It is an annual.

5. americanlawn

from midwest

Darn good guess. It's "windmill grass". Only product that kills this perennial is Roundup. Personally, I like it because of its attractive bluish-green foliage -- unlike any other grass in the Midwest. I give you an A+ for trying, and I'll never kill it, and I hope it spreads more around our office lawn (about 1 acre). Hey -- it's better than bare dirt. LOL

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

They make this other stuff called "GRASS" that could fill in those dirt spots.

7. americanlawn

from midwest

I hear ya, but I think it looks cool. This area is mainly tall fescue & Kentucky bluegrass. I even seeded a portion of this area with buffalograss last fall. Also - I kinda like all these different grasses so I can show my guys:usflag: