1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Name This Tree

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JimLewis, Oct 4, 2008.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I should know this....I took a classification class in college and remember seeing this one. But that was a long time ago. Anyone help me out???

See photos below. The leaf should be the dead giveaway.

Oct04_0001.jpg

Oct04_0002.jpg

2. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

tulip poplar

3. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

yes, they are all over the place here in GA.

4. JimLewis

Yes, yes. Thanks. They call it "Tulip Tree" around here. Liriodendron. That was actually on the contractor's exam for our state. :hammerhead:

5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

beautiful foliage in the fall. seems they turn way before the other trees around here. only other tree we have more of are the locusts.

6. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

that would be the state tree of Tennessee. Funny thing is I rarely see any of them around here.

7. allinearth

I always considered tulip tree to be more of the tulip, saucer, magnolia variety.

8. JimLewis

Yes, the Saucer Magnolia is often (erroneously) referred to as "tulip tree" as well.

9. allinearth

Guess now I'LL have to review the trees in Dirr's book just to clean it up for myself. If you guys do much planting at all I would seriously consider getting a copy. Think its the Manual of hardy trees or something. Use it almost every week and can't recall the exact name:cry: