1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Name this weed please

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wooley99, Oct 6, 2007.

1. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

Attached is a weed that is rampant in my NW Florida yard and beds. For the last two years I wasn't around to put pre-m down at the right times. I'm hoping this stuff won't be back next year but I don't know what it is. Any ID help would be greatly appreciated.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure, but you can try www.weedalert.com, also I would think most any semi-selective broadleaf weed killer should take care of it.
  3. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

It almost looks like some type of Locust sapling.....but I doubt it.
  4. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

kinda looks like crown vetch
  5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

looks like locust.. is there a large tree in that area that has the same leaf? if so it is locust..
  6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

7. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

sorry- not phylanthus- if the leaves are somewhat leathery its chamberbitter.
  8. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

I thought crown vetch too, but in Florida? I though it was a cool season plant. In the third photo, which is out of focus, there are structures at the base of the petiole that should be proof positive of indentification.
  9. bblawncare

bblawncare LawnSite Member

If the fruit is green and warty and attached to the underside of the branch without a stalk then it is Chamberbitter (Gripeweed, Niruri, Leafflower) and it is a summer annual. If the fruit is smooth and attached on long stalks then it is Phyllanthus (perennial). The blurry pic of the fruit looks more like chamberbitter.
  10. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

We see that weed in my area as well.