Name this Weed??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lambdin, Oct 18, 2010.

1. lambdin

lambdin LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

its taking over my yard!! 5 years ago I didnt have any at all, now its all I got
    IMG_1429_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1429_edited-1.jpg

2. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

Appears to be prostrate spurge. But the pic isn't all that good
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Without being able to clearly see the leaves, it's tough to tell. However, I'm leaning towards Spurge myself.

4. lambdin

lambdin LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

hard to get a good pic, was told it was mouse ear chickweed, I'm thinking that is correct, do you guys think it would be ok to round up now and reseed in early spring? its starting to really tick me off!! its taking over

5. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

If you could take close up pic's of the leaves themselves, it would be much easier to identify. To me, it doesn't look like Chickweed at all and I think it definitely resembles Spurge. If it's Spurge (and I think it is), it'll die off with the cold weather and there will be no need for a Herbicide. As for spraying it with Roundup, are you doing a total lawn renovation?

6. lambdin

lambdin LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

yes I'm wanting to do a total lawn re do, this stuff started about 8 years ago and has taken over the yard, its very invasive and hard to kill, I've had it with spending hundreds of dollars on pre-emergence and fertilizer. will try a new pic tommorow

7. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

looks like chickweed to me, but then again i'm definitely not a pro, still workin' on that one...

8. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

spurge or knotweed ??? If Either one is left to mature.they will harden off (become woody) and harder to kill .

9. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

I'd name it Phil. 'Cause it's filling out in your yard nicely. :hammerhead::laugh:

10. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Looks more like supine spurge to me...