Names......

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lms, Nov 26, 2004.

1. lms

lms LawnSite Member

I have been working under the business name “Luke’s Lawn Service” since the age of ten. I have now come to the realization that I need something new, and a little bit more toward the professional end of the spectrum. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice that you could give, because to me, this is one of the most important aspects of marketing a business.

To help jumpstart a few ideas, I will give you a little bit of information about myself:
    I live in Afton
    I live near the St. Croix River
    My name is Luke Stedman
    I work mainly in the lawn maintenance field

Here are a few ideas that I have been kicking around:
    St. Croix Landscape
    Afton Landscape
    Stedman’s Landscape

I could add “Lawn &” before Landscape on all of these names. Similarly, I could add “Solutions” to the end of any of these names.

I think my favorite name so far is “Afton Landscape” or “Afton Lawn & Landscape”.

I look foreword to reading your ideas!

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi lms,

I like your current name of Luke’s Lawn Service. It is very personable.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Since you are only 14 years old I wouldn't really sweat a "name" as you aren't even a true business.

4. bjslawnservice

bjslawnservice LawnSite Member

Hey,

I had the same problem. Been running B.J.'s Lawn Service since I started back in '96. This year I was going to change it, but then I got a logo made up and I really like it. So I just decided to just start up and new company with new name. lol. This way you keep your old one and you get a new one. :) This way your old customers dont get confused. Thats just my way to deal with it. :cool2: Plus you can play with the competitors ;) If you know what I mean. hehe j/k

William Jordan

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I like St. Croix Landscape

6. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

7. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think many of us have been in the same position as you, and some still are in the same position as you. I for one can't decide what to do with my name. ECM is my initials, and I go by ECM Lawn Care for my business name. I have registered a new name as Triangle Landscape and Design (I live in what is known as the triangle, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill), but I can't decide if I am going to use it or not because all my customers know me by ECM Lawn Care, and I really can't take on any more work so I don't think the name really matters. The one thing I don't like about my name is the fact that it doesn't sound as good when I am bidding on commercial properties, but honestly, it hasn't held me back so far, so I really don't know what I am going to do. It will cost a lot of money for me to change names because I will have to redo the signs on my trailers, trucks, business cards, invoices, etc...

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If the name ain't broke, don't fix it...

9. MMLawn

Cameron you may already know this but just in case if not as info only, keep this in mind with that name. If you aren't also Licensed by the NC Landscapers Board (State Law G.S. 89A) and you use the term "Landscape" or "Landscape Contractor" or "Landscape Design/er" in your business name or even call yourself that then you are in violation of NC Law.

If you are licensed by the NCLCB in addition of course to your local licenses then you are fine of course.

10. MMLawn

Because he is only 14 years old. He can't incorporate. He can certainly cut grass but he can't legally own or even call himself a business or register even a Sole Prop DBA Business name as required by law in every single state to use an assumed business name. The only way he can set up and go by any business name is for his parents to do it and actually on paper and liability wise to own everything.

I would imagine at only 14 and no drivers license or vehicle that he is probably very limited in his "business" and probably cutting around his neigbors so the really best thing for him at 14 is to just cut the grass for some extra change as a kid and be a kid. The real world will be here soon enough for him.