Nandina Flowers & Bees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Feb 4, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I am designing a landscape for a lady who is allergic to bee stings. I want to avoid flowing plants. Along the north side of the house, there is a lot of shade, as it's a two story home. A bed of Nandina would look really good there year round, but it flowers in July-August.

Do these flowers attract bees? I've got a lot of Nandina in my landscape and I've never noticed any bees on the flowers. They're not exactly what I think of when I think of flowers.

Here's a link to a picture of the flower...scroll down to the 2nd pic:

http://www.floridata.com/ref/n/nand_dom.cfm

Thanks,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Hmm, never seen mine flower, only get berries. Never seen bees around them.

3. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I've never seen mine flower either or noticed any bees attracted to them also. But I did look at the link you provided and it says that bees are attracted to the flowers.

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

It does flower if you let them grow out, will produce a stalk out the center and have tiny tiny flowers on them. I think the flowers on nandina are so small bees do not waste their time with them for the most part. Maybe you can add in some ornamental grasses to break up the landscape somewhat. Also could add some golden threadmoss, or junipers perhaps. Blue Star junipers do excellent, nice blueish tint and tight compact. If you are dead set on nandinas, try some different varieties such as the San Gabriel. It looks nothing like a nandina which makes it look different.

Its going to be difficult to find non-flowering plants that can tolerate total shade.

5. One Degree

One Degree LawnSite Member

In a shady area you might try Gold Dust Acuba. It is an evergreen and will get about 6-8 ft tall if desired. It does not flower to my knowledge but will get berries. I also have HB nandina and the flowers are inconspicious. I have never seen a bee pollinating my nandinas. You might try Nandina domestica 'Compacta'. It is a more compact nandina 3-4 ft. I have never seen flower production on this variety.

6. chesie

chesie LawnSite Member

Try some Harbour Dwarf or Gulf Stream Nandina...they tend not to bloom as much as the Heavenly Bamboo/Domestica.