1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Napa Belt Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Mar 17, 2005.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Matt did the search on here trying to find out what he was looking for. He claims he can't find this mentioned here, so let me ask you guys this.
    He was checking on Napa belts, and they cross referenced all the eXmark numbers to Napa belts. The belts are all the same price as JThomas comparable, the only thing is, for the wheel drive belts, they don't have a double wheel belt. Napa says just use two single wheel belts instead. Has anyone done this? Will they stretch differently. And did you get the same results as your OE belt?
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have never done it. but i know someone that did, and he said it worked good.
  3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

For the blade and tranny ( or hydro ) drive belt, as long as the Napa belts are "industrial", or "Lawn and garden" he'll be fine, DO NOT USE AN AUTOMOTIVE BELT, it will strech like mad and break ( ay least for the blades..) As for the "wheel" belts, I would get the oe's as well, the double belt deal most likely will give ya'll real headaches. Headaches that will more than outweigh the $$$ saved, or the time inconvenience you think you may avert.. Nothings worse than replacing a belt twice, because you were in a bind.. BTW, tell him to look in a Gates catalog, he may be able to find the real deal, proper wheel belts in there, as walkbehind lawnmowers don't have the corner on the doubled vee belt market..Hope I helped..
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

They should wear equally, the loads they work are identical providing he keeps any and all fluid leaks clear (ie, oil, water, fuel).
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I had no luck with NAPA belts for blade drive...they stretched. They had cross reference from Snapper and Scag but their belt didn't work long term. Had to go back to dealer. Would I be correct if I assumed that JD belts are a lot like NAPA?
  6. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

NAPA belts are Gates, the best made, and likely the manufacturer of the belts on your JD, eXmark, Toro, Walker, Hustler, etc.

There are onlt a couple of manufacturers of "B" and "A" belts, Gates and Dayco. Gates owns most of the market.
  7. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

There alot of different ways to make belts so saying they are made by Gates means nothing. In most cases the standard black industrial Napa belt will not hold up long on a deck. The back side idlers will break them over a short period of time. If you want to try a great standard belt try the Dayco Super II. They position the power cord towards the middle of the belt to resist cracking. Excellent design and they last a long time. The green Gates Power Rated belt is also a belt made to resist back side idlers. From my experience the Dayco will outlast the Gates of these two designs. The only disadvantage of the Dayco is they are harder to find. Napa does carry their version of the Gates Power Rated (it will be green). Hope this helps.

8. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I agree with you mowingmachine, I have had similar experiences. The green Kevlar wraps at Napa still seem to be weak. The Dayco Super II has worked on my deck pulleys great even with doubles. The dealers are the best, but expensive.
  9. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

jodi said the OEM part numbers were cross refernced to NAPA part numbers. If that is the case, the NAPA belt will be at least OEM quality.

NAPA belts are Gates premium belts. NAPA also sells Silverline belts, also made by Gates, as a 'price' belt in the automotive line only.

Industrial belts are made to meets certain applications. Cross referencing an OEM # to NAPA/Gates gets the correct belt. Using dimensions may not.

NAPA/Gates vs Dayco is a chocolate vs vanilla thing. I was a Gates factory rep for 8 years before I bought my NAPA store in Cocoa Beach, Fl in 1988. I've sold both Gates and Dayco and they are both good product lines.

Both make private label belts for different OEMs; cross referencing eliminates the guess work with NAPA. We are not talkin auto zone here!

Mower manufacturers don't make their own belts, they have them made. As I stated, most often they will be Gates or Dayco of the OEM's specifications .
  10. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

go to your dealer the belts are just better