Napa Oil Filters For Kaw engines

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, May 22, 2009.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Today I took a Kaw filter in the Napa to get a cross. The Kaw filter was about $7.93. The Napa filter was about $7.45 for one filter. I was just about to walk off when he said if you buy 12 in a bubble pack the price will be $3.00 each:clapping: Now the question is ....are these filters(NAPA ProSelect 21394) any good. If I look down into the center of the Kaw filter it has a spingy device and Napa doesn't. I definitely not going to use them in my big engines but was going to use them on the smaller engines.

2. mgm

mgm LawnSite Member

We changed all 8 of our 6hp Kwai 21 inch with Fram PH4967 last season , no problems , saved $2.50 each filter change.

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Check with your NAPA dealer to see if they have a Farm Filter Day. If they do, you can usually buy the top of the line NAPA Gold 1394 by the dozen for around $3 each.

Dutch

4. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Ya, I have used the 1394 Gold (I think) on my Kaw 420V. I don't remember what I paid, but NAPA seems to be the cheapest and easiest for anything engine related (at least around here).

5. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask yourself, how good can that filter be. Obviously they are overpriced at $7.45. How else can they discount them by that amount. I can't understand why anyone would use anything other than OEM filters. At least you know it's as good as the one that came with the engine. Problem is, you will never know for sure. And all the testimonials about how much you can save. Do you think anyone would even know if the element failed? The spring is part of the relief system. An important component for a engine oil filter, but they are not used in a hydraulic filter (which would be 25 micron or less).

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I took them back.....that spring and the low cost bothered me.

7. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Go to express mower parts .com no spaces sorry I got OEM for a great deal if I bought 12 saved almost half what dealer wants

8. Columbia Care

Columbia Care LawnSite Member

I agree with kjslawn on Express Mower Parts. When I order, I play with the quantity to reduce my shipping cost. Most oil filters cost me around $4 with shipping based on the quantity I order.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Napa filters are mad by WIX, which are the best out there.

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I know wix was making Napa filters. Napa has pretty high standards, I have never heard of a problem with them. There are several filters out there that are made to as high or higher standards than OEM depending on who makes the OEM filter.