1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

#*?!*$#? narrow strips!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Sep 27, 2005.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

:waving: I am trying to water a 3' by approx. 50' area. I am using RB 15 SST and they dump a lot of water out to the sides but now enough straight ahead. Yes, they are rated for 4' by 30' but they do a poor job on the 4' side. I allow for 3' and 26' radius.

What do you recommend for this type of strip? Who makes the good nozzles for this type of area?

I owe you all a lot!

John :waving:
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

9 SST's.

A lot more water infront than the 15 SST's.
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Concrete it in! LOL :dizzy:
  4. PurpHaze

OK... seriously now. When I install SST sprinklers I usually triangulate them on both sides of the parking-type strip. However, a 3' wide strip should have been considered for some other use as it is just sooooooooooo narrow. I don't know excatly what your're dealing with and whether or not this is a high visibility area but I have also used EST/CST down the middle of a narrow area if it's "less visible" and doesn't attract "curb appeal" status. There's other tricks such as really paying attention to the length of watering time... increasing enough to water yet not long enough to cause problems.

Additionally, no matter what you do water WILL get on hardscaping or streets with these narrow strips. Some communities have actually gone as far as outlawing them altogether as they tend to be a waste of water and continually have broken sprinklers that compound water waste. Maybe good for business but bad for conserving precious liquid.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you have good pressure, the nozzles should do the trick. You can always space them head-to-head, like you would with center-strip-type nozzles. Rainbird now makes left and right corner strip nozzles, so you can space nozzles from corner to corner. For the most effect on limited water, one could use the Toro 4x18 side-strip nozzles, which have standalone capability.
  6. Luke in Nebraska

Luke in Nebraska LawnSite Member

Cst's work good if they are 12' apart. they look like they are not getting enough water right next to the head, but it is the sprinkler on each side of the head that waters the next one. make sure you use end strips on the ends. Speaking of strip nozzles K-rain has a nozzle that is a 4x30 on one side and a 15H on the other. I have been using a lot of these for the the people who want to water there plants in their landscaping next to the house.
  7. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had the best luck with Hunter 15SST. They throw more water out to the front than the RBirds. Still need to be head to head or closer however.

8. PurpHaze

As always there appears to be more than one way to skin the cat.
  9. viennagardens

viennagardens LawnSite Member

Not a practical placement for grass
  10. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

Drip line?