National Average?$$$$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 11, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

A FELLOW STOPPED TO CHAT WHILE WE WERE DOING A CLEANUP, we got on the subject of price, and he said the "national average" charge by the hour for cleanups is $37.50. anyone ever hear of this, or any other number?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

That's amazing. He polled everyone in the country and then averaged it out. What a man!!:rolleyes:

With the price of equipment, bags and labor I think I would go broke.

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

37.50 is too low. That work is hard on your equipment and you.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

You're sure he was just talking about clean ups? I read that the national average for Landscapers/Lawn Maintenance is $35/hr. in general.

I believe that was in a recent issue of one of the green industry mags.

That happens to be what I charge for clean ups. I really don't think I could get much more then that in my area. Or perhaps I should say, in the area that I work. It's very much middle class blue collar workers. Now, if I went in the other direction when I left my house, it's a bit more upscale and perhaps I could charge a bit more hourly. But the properties are larger and I work solo and have limited equipment (small mowers).

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I'd work for $37.5, but not an hour.

I might price a job at $37.5/hr for a four hour job but I would finish it in 2-2 1/2 hours.

GEO

6. What good is that?

I don't see even how a state wide average would be of any use to me. I think the magazines promote this myth because that's how they sell magazines, and their advertisers sell their products.
    ....NATION-WIDE.....

Look at how extreme the variations are. On the east coast the cost of living is twice what it is here. In the south the cost of labor is half what it is here.

A "National Average" is just wierd.

IMHO

Dave

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

8. Integrity

Integrity LawnSite Member

Never heard of a national average in this business. And I sure think that 37.5/hour is too low. We'd go broke at that rate.

9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not really sure about the national average at all, I'm more concerned about my area of the state. The average varies dramatically in NJ and is very high in north Jersey, and very low by the south Jersey shore.

I think what we should all be concerned about is making a fair rate that is acceptable in our geographic area and fall in line w/ other professions. Bottom line guys is that in the service industry, we're UNFORTUNATELY not near the top:

Mechanics, plumbers, electricians and other industries where more training and certification is needed reflect higher pay rates (this is why lawn care techs get better money than lawn jockeys mowing grass!) we are usually better paid than painters and janitorial service companies.

My point is this: In our area, auto mechanics $60+ shop hour, small equipment mechanics $50+ shop area, Electricians and plumbers $40-$45+ per hour
    No, we're not brain surgeons, and no we don't have the higher overhead of garages, nor necessarily the higher mechanic rates, but we should be able to get our rates up a little in this industry especially since the Z's, bigger blowers, extendable trimmers, etc. get the job done so quickly. The investment in these tools isn't cheap either. The more educated clients realize this and usually are willing to pay for the service. It will take a little more time for the average Joe Shmoe to realize this too.

Bob

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

An average is just like what some said here, an average. And that may have been derived at by someone charging $100 an hour and someone charging $20 an hour. You have to use your judgement in your area and what the market will allow.