1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

national landscape companies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by workorder, Oct 29, 2000.

1. workorder

workorder LawnSite Member

I was wondering if any has any experience dealing with or working for any of the "national companies" in particular Brickman or Tru-Green. If so, what is your opinion of these companies and how has it affected you, the industry, and your opinion of things to come?
  2. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Brickman cuts my private-high school. They seem to do good work. But I've got a feeling there over priced. They just have that "feel".
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

In the area we work, Brickman had a lawn there, but lost it. I didn't even see them around this season mowing any lawns in our area, but I do see them on the road. Their main office is close to us too.
  4. workorder

workorder LawnSite Member

Do you feel large companies are good for the industry and our reputation as whole, or do you feel they are a hinderance? My opinion is split and I am looking for some insight.
  5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I see Brickman and Davey Tree and Landscape in my area. They do a really good job. They always have 1 American driving and a truck load of the spanish dudes. They utilize their help very well. I never see them doing horrible work. I notice some flaws, but every one has them.

I have no idea how they affect us. They sure make themselves look good. Maybe we should idolize them, AND charge the same going rate.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I subbed out a large fertiliztion job to Tru-Green. They only got it right on 1 out of 5 visits. I'm shopping around for another applicator.
  7. sunrise

sunrise Banned

Tru- Green sucks they tell there guys to fert even if its raining.
    Tru-Green Landcare is to big for there paints. They thank that they are the top dog in thr bussiness and they are but at about 3-5 Percent profit. They are losing a lot of big propertys in the D.C area.
    I plow for them and do littl mow job for them.
    Brinkman, interview in a lawn mag. he stated they only make about 3% on landscape project and the cost is the same as 1975 prices
    Overall they help me I not huge and the people like to see me and know who is mowing there lawn instaed of this crew this week and another next week.
    But they pay me more then I would nave charged to do the job for the cust.
  8. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I'm sorta in the same area as sunrise and tru-green does suck! I see them at about 20 different places in my area and they do a terrible job at all of them. They definately bit off more than they can chew around here.
  9. A topic near to my heart. Tru Green came in and bought up the bigest LC in the Northwest two years ago, that being Northwest landscape Industries. All their clients thought it was great. Until Tru Green began reducing services and reaping the profits. They have all the clients that care about pricing only. The quality of their work is terrible. It makes companies like mine look great. It makes prices like mine justified. They have a hospital for 2600 per month. That was $ 1200 less than our bid, but then again, we prune the shrubs and change the color, and fertilize more than 3 times per year. They make scrubs look like heros. I will have that contract back next year, you can bet on it. They lowered the bar for quality of services and they have horrific turnover. They got rid of or had quit almost 100% of the management staff that had been there over 10 years.

I saw a Davey Tree vehicle in Portland a couple of weeks ago, but I have not heard anything about that.
  10. Guest

We have Brickman around here and we have gone head to head in bidding jobs against them one we got one they got. The work I see is good and as said I always see one American foreman and 10 spanish workers on every job there on. I think that there pricing is fair and as long as they don't start undercutting then I have no problems with them. The way I see it is that there is way too much work out there to worry about competition. Also Brickman is usually doing large corporate accounts in our area, I have yet to see Tru-Green maintenance division around here, but we do have one U.S. Lawn's company, never really had to deal with them.Just my two cents