National Landscaping Service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bruce, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Bruce

Bruce LawnSite Member
    from MN

Has anyone ever done work for National Landscape before ?If so are they good at paying or are they late at it? The reason I ask is they called me today and wanted me to give them a bid on a Target store in my home town. To do all the grounds up keep.

2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

if you want to make money stay away from them all they are looking for is a cheapo service to do these accounts for pennys .while your busting your *** there making all the money .besides that they pay on a 90 day net meaning you get your first check 3 months after service ,,,, sorry i have employees that need weekly paychecks !!

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

They have called us from our yellow page ad three times.

Each time they act like they need a bid by 12:00 yesterday, like its some sort of emergency.

The person calling rambles on like a telemarketer.

We dropped everything to bid on a big assisted living community for them. They say "rough estimates are ok." Put several hours and dollars into a bid. Never heard back.

Second time it was for a major bank with many branches. Ditto outcome as with Assisted living.

Third time, for a major trucking company terminal. This time, we said "thanks, but no thanks."

TURNS OUT: National Landscaping does not actually have the contracts. They are trying to score the contracts.

Can't fault them for trying to land work, but they are not forthcoming in that they don't indicate that they are in fact not working under any kind of agreement. You go to the properties to look around to place your bid, and nobody is expecting you. Nobody at any of the places I looked at even heard of National Landscaping. Made me wonder if I was trespassing.

If you bid for National Landscaping, be sure to check in at the office wherever you go before looking around. (Otherwise you are a trespasser, as the owner is NOT EXPECTING YOU!!!).

kb

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Heh, man I would go check out the place an leave my own bid! Screw working for someone!

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly! Why on gods green earth would I want to prepare a bid for anyone but my own potential customer. If I wanted to work for someone I would have never started MY OWN business. There is way too much work and way too many different ways to get this work. There is no need to be someones sub whipping boy. I had one company call me (don't remember who) and need a bid for an Officemax store but it was due that afternoon. It was a large bid with a lot of work involved, mowing, shrub work, topsoil and seeding, mulch, etc.. The lady said it needed to be done this afternoon. Sorry for calling you so late. I simply told her that if that's how you run your business, calling at the last minute, requesting emergency bid work, in the heart of the spring busy season, why would I want to bid for a company like yours? Then I proceeded with the push of a button and she heard a click.

I run my own show, and the only people I answer to are MY customers. I build a working relationship with them, not some nationwide chain that I would have to play phone tag with to get anything done.

6. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I agree...Dont know why you would want to do Nationals biddin for them. Bid it yourself.. but the 90 day net can be a pain in the butt. Then thats only if they pay on time. :drinkup:

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

and leave a lot of subcontractors unpaid.

I just don't see how you can scale this business with good results. It is just too out of touch with the customer to try to become "Wal-Mart" in this type of business.

Maybe if they took the Chemlawn approach using their own crews, but usings only subs will not work.

KB

8. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

.....and those of you who worked for them.... How much $ did you see from them before they did IMPLODE and run with the cash?