1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

National Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aphilippi, Apr 8, 2007.

1. aphilippi

aphilippi LawnSite Member

Is anyone able to tell me the name and contact details of a national mower distributor or dealer? I am interested in a National Mower 68 triplex.
  2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Do they have a web site?
  3. aphilippi

Yes they do, but no distributors are listed.
  4. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Most companies have a search feature by zip code to find a dealer. Thats the only thing I know of.
  5. ezyed

ezyed LawnSite Member

I have a dealer in wisconsin,but I can not get to the mower right now. I have a old triplex for sale real cheap. Runs ok.
    ezyed at nnex.net
  6. aphilippi

The distributor's section is only for use by dealers and no details of addresses are provided. If your dealer in Wisconsin can help that would be really helpful. Can you give me his details?

How old is your machine?
  7. ezyed

ezyed LawnSite Member

aphilippi,I will be able to look at the mower some time tomorrow and give you their phone number then(it`s on the decal). Mine is quite old but should work ok for some time. I am a single operator and don`t need that type of machine.
  8. workinghorse

workinghorse LawnSite Member

If you finding a dealer is that difficult...why would you want to purchase something from them. It could be just as hard to have your equipment serviced.
  9. aphilippi

I am just interested in the details of a National Mower dealer so that I can buy a new triplex 68 mower (does anyone know how much they cost?). I'm worried that the tel no on the machine will just be National Mowers number, not the dealers? Can you give me the tel number of your dealer in Wisconsin?

I have a dealer here who is prepared to service the machine but does not stock them.

Many thanks
  10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

A "new" 68" or a used one in good shape with a bunch of life left in them?
    The 68" is the 'estate' mower, aka a high end residential mower, not to be confused with the larger utility tri-plex both belt and hydro driven.
    The biggest difference between the 68" and other machines is in the front end and frame assembly. The 68 is substantially less well built for crew use than the other machines.
    If you are really in the need for a National Mower, go to: www.turfnet.com, access their equipment listings and browse from there. Also look for country club landscaping out of Ohio (if he is still in business) Jim Mullins had this turf equipment business the last time I bothered to look.
    Pretty much expect to pay no more than $2,500.00 to maybe $3,200.00 tops for a really, really good used machine.
    A word to the wise about National reels, they are the hardest reels to grind.
    Set up and squaring take a well trained equipment tech and their bedknives - you had better have a 5lb hand sledge with one hell of a good bedbar screw bit in your impact hammer.
    And if your equipment dealer who will service the machine for you tries to say just backlapping will keep the three cutting units in shape, run don't walk away.
    Operating a National Mower is one thing, wrenching on their reels is something else entirely different. These reels are a perfect case of if you don't know what you are doing they will eat your lunch, both in set up and maintenance.
    Ask around at your local golf courses either for used National mowers or advise on whom would care to maintain the reels for you.