Nationwide Big-App-Co Invoices can put a stamp on it and put it in the mailbox!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SOMM, Apr 30, 2005.

1. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

We instruct our flyer-placing service to remove every big nationwide application companies' p.o.s., plastic bagged to the front door, Invoice.

It's a great source of information for us on their marketing and followup, and the fact that they have to do TWO springtime crab apps (because they can't properly identify) upon quackgrass or barnyard grass to our ONE for the real crabgrass !

What a professional image of glossy logo's and dynamic imaging when they cant even afford a postage stamp to put it in their customers' mailboxes, and leave it to the wind, elements, and our purposed guerilla marketing campaign to remove whatever's not properly stamped and placed in their customers mailboxes!

2. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Think -maybe- that could get you in trouble?
  3. You steal your competitors invoices from their customers doors...

I am all for healthy competition, but I think that crosses the line of decency. There are other legitimate ways to get the same information, and they have the benefit of not resorting to thievery.
  4. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

all they gotta do is put a legal stamp on it like ours and place it in a legal mailbox. if its an invoice, postal regs require it, don't they?
    this way you don't appear like a scrub - too cheap to put a stamp on it.

we do the entire neighborhood a sevice by free trash removal.

this is a most despicable way to treat any customers premises by hanging trash on their door to blow to the wind. why is it that lawn biz operators do this "hanging of trash" when plumbers, carpenters, and electricians do not?
    as a legal industry, some LCO's got a long way to grow into a more professional image of the way they invoice, and the image this portrays upon the customers curb appeal.
  5. Are you stating that "postal regs" require postage to be applied to those hanging bags?

Does your flier distribution company also apply stamps to the flyer's they leave at the door? Or do you have them put stamps on it and place them in the mailbox? If they don't then you are a hypocrite.

Ok, so let me see if I get this straight.

It is despicable to leave some information regarding a treatment the homeowner has asked for and is expecting, on their front door in a highly visible plastic bag.

But it is not despicable to steal that invoice (which technically is the property of the homeowner), which probably contains information they are legally required to receive (the pesticide disclosure, though some states vary).

When you steal invoices, you are interfering with the transmission of required information that the LCO needs to give a homeowner at the time of service. If the unthinkable happened and someone had a allergic reaction to the treatment, then your behavior would complicate their treatment.

Frankly your opinion on how it looks is irrelevant, and I suspect it is nothing more then a lame attempt to conceal the true reason you steal invoices.

You seek to undermine the relationship the LCO has with the customer. By denying the customer the invoice, they don't think they got service and they won't pay. Conversely, the LCO will eventually stop treating the customer (and make them available for you) or eat the cost of the treatment.
  6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You putting a stamp on does not make you a postal service worker, and gives you no right to open up a mailbox unless the customer instructs you to. Good luck in your guerilla marketing campaign. I don't see it lasting long.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

ILLEGAL and
    ILLEGAL. All of the above. I can't even believe I'm reading something like this on this site. What do some people think??? First of all, those are put there for a reason...As a matter of fact, they are required by law, so that in itself justifies that there is good reason. These are calle SOS, or "Statement of Service". Anyone who knows anything about the licensed industry knows the importance of them, because they tell the customer exactly what was used, at what rates, and when. This way, should anything happen to anyone, like a reaction or a respiratory attack or something, that information would be readily available for a physician. And this person thinks it's "cool" to take these??? Hey, I got a great idea! Let's hack into a pharmacy's computer program, mess with peoples' prescriptions so they will want to switch pharmacies.

As far as the mailbox thing, one couldn't get much farther off base than that, either. I don't care if you put a hundred stamps on it, or make the envelope out of stamps. The moment you open that door, and put something in (let alone take something out), you have just committed a crime. No if's and's or but's about it. Now, how about some MORE marketing ideas! :rolleyes:
  8. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

I also dread to think about the customer who's credit rating is affected after YOU steal their invoice. If you did that to me, you wouldn't want me to catch you or find out, because messing with my credit history is like picking on my kid..... you won't like the outcome.
  9. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

Yeah, I'm hoping that I misread or misinterpreted what I read. That is really unprofessional, unethical and most likely illegal. Don't piss and moan about the practices of others and then do them one better with your own shady practices.

I made my peace with the 800 pound gorilla. I wave and smile whenever I see a truck approach me. They are what they are and I am what I am.

Funny story - a couple of years ago I bought a used hippo on the used truck market. Got a great deal on a fantastic truck. Repainted it, relettered, etc., but you can't tell from a distance that it isn't a TG/CL hippo. When a TG/CL truck comes along in the other direction I get a big smile and wave, that turns into a confused look, then the wave disappears, and a frown crossed the drivers face - hilarious!
  10. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

You can't just throw a stamp on it and throw it in the box. If it is a piece of mail, it has to have the postage cancelled by the post office. If i caught you taking my invoice off the door, we would tangle. Mind your own damn business. :angry: