Natural Control for Red Thread and Dollar Spot?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Microbe, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Most of my new lawns are suffering from a tad of red thread and some even Dollar Spot in all sun locations. I fertilized with a bridge fertilizer to supply some quick nitrogen and seeded the areas hoping to out grow the fungus. Is there anything else I can do organically to help with fugus? A spray of some sort? I remember nocutting had something for fungus control, could have been a soap of some sort. I know that compost tea's are great for suppressing pathogens such as red thread and dollar spot. Anything else I can use?:confused:

2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

cut back on the water.

3. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious what research you are referring to...Neal

4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We added Sonata, a bio fungicide to our soil booster mix and had good results this Spring.

http://www.agraquest.com/products/sonata/index.html#stewardship

Similiar to what Norm Al said, push good cultural practices and def. find out when customers are watering. One customer insists on watering between midnight and 3 am and is calling us every other week about red thread. The red thread is absolutely perfect, like looking at a picture of it in a book. They can't get to the phone fast enough to call us, pay for us to fix it, then don't listen when we tell them how to correct the problem. Oh well.

5. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Compost tea is loaded with benefical bacteria and other benefical organisms which when applied to area's moderatly affected by certain types of fungus or damaging pathogens, the good "guy's" suppress and eventually balance out the ratio between good and bad resulting in control. Hey this might not be the perfect terminology or PHD perfect, but to a large extent this is true and easy for a homeowner to understand.

6. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Microbe;
    I understand the philosophy, and the generalizations but what about the evidence...Univ. studies, etc.?
    Neal

7. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

8. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

I dont' get it... When it comes to lets say Prescription medicine they had billions of dollars and all the right people, equipment, and whatever to "prove," that "viox," works..... Then it kills people.... They can't scientifically prove that ALL THE PRESERVATIVES in our foods cause cancer, high blood pressure, and whatever else, so what does that mean, they don't harm the human body drastically? I mean jeez... WERE JUST LEARNING ABOUT FREE RADICALS AND HOW THEY HURT THE BODY LOL!!!!!! So your saying that because there is no scientific experiement done that costs 10 billion dollars to finish, your saying that compost tea's dont do anything? You need scientific proof? Are you kidding? What you need proof that LUTIEN actually prevents the eye from breaking down? Keep waiting for proof you'll have very poor eyes one day. You need proof that eating vegetables and taking antioxitants actually slow down the aging process and make you much healthier? DAM cause if I did I'd be a very very unhealthy human being waiting for the GOVERNMENTS mad scientists to finially find one chemical in an apple that actually makes it healthy. They don't understand why herbal medicine only works when you use the "WHOLE," plant and not the isolated greedy chemical so some genus can get rich off of. THEY WON"T TELL YOU IT WORKS BECAUSE THEY CAN"T MAKE MONEY OFF OF IT!!!!!!! Why would they perform an experiment on organics, there's nothing to isolate or patent to an extent. They oil companies and chemical companies can't make money from COMPST TEA, why because ITS NATUAL, IT WORKS, AND YOU CAN"T MAKE IT IN A LAB! THIS WORLD IS A JOKE IMO IN SO MANY WAYS.... You people always need scientific proof, if you had CANCER would you wait for scientific proof that says "JUICING, HERBAL HEALING, REIKI, MASSAGE, AROMATHERAPY, NUTRITION THERAPY, MEDITATION ACTUALLY WORKS?" NOOOOOOO You'd ask the old healer with generations of wisdom what works... NOT MR> GOLDENFARB PHD who's only option to get rid of a disease is to treat the symptoms... not the whole picture... Mr.. You have a head ache ok... TAKE ADVIL AND TYLENOL THEY WORK AND ARE SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN TO DULL PAIN.... BUT WHY DO YO HAVE THE PAIN IN THE FIRST PLACE??????????? MR. GOLDENFARB PHD SAYS DUHHHHH I DON"T KNOW! YOU SEE MY POINT? YOU DON"T TREAT THE LAWN WHEN IT HAS SYMPTOMS AND THEN COUNT ON A CHEMICAL THAT is scientifically proven to kill lets say red thread but do nothing to help the lawn overall, or the soil that the grass is growing in period. NO MONEY NO RESEARCH NO PROFIT then hey I guess it doesn't work....

9. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

You really hit the nail on the head here! You shouldn't hafta PROVE something works. Just SAYING that it works, and shouting down anyone who asks for evidence to back it up, should be good enough. That's how the industry advances.

C'mon Neal, you usualy post very thoughtful, informative info; I mean, GEEZ! What's with the "just curious to what research you are referring to ATTITUDE"? Geez! C'mon get with the program, dude! We don't need no stinkin' research.

10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I will have to do a search for the exact university study I read this in, so I guess I will get shouted at for posting it.

Compost teas contain thermodite bacteria's. These bacteria are whats responsible for breaking down the organic material into more easily digestable food sources for the benefitual bacteria. Thermodite bacteria do not help eliminate bad microbes anymore than they do the good microbes, actually about the same since they will consume either. The benefit from the compost teas are mainly from the increased water soluible nutrients that the teas contain. Any nutrient that has been consumed by plants is already in a root acid soluible form that can more easily be takenup by a new plant or new organism. The credit for increased nutrient availablity of the teas is usually given to the the microbes that the teas contain, and rightly so, but those microbes very quickly die off once sprayed onto the soil ( and even while in the tea solution) and the easily available nutrients are what the plants are really benefiting from. Not all compost teas will ever be the same. The nutrient levels in these teas is limited to the nutrients that are contained in the composted material. Microbes cant make nutrients that are not already there. If the composted material was grown in a soil that was deficient in a certain nutrient, then the finished compost will also be deficient in those same nutrients, as well, the compost teas will contain the same deficiencies

Now I guess I will have to start searching for my source of information, but go ahead and scream, I have my earplugs in.