1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

natural fertilizers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hustlers, Jul 17, 2001.

1. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I am thinking about going to all organcic or natural fertilizers
    and spot treating weeds as needed. Are there
    any good programs out there for blue-ryegrass lawns
    and where can you get the stuff. I am sick of
    chemlawn spraying all those chemicals on my lawns
    and charging $6 per 1000 ft2 and only putting
    part of the fertilizer down that is listed on the invoice.
    they do a good job but I dont know what those
    chemicals are going to do to the kids

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

The "chemicals" must be called so because they are manufactured in a plant. It is the same as calling vitamins "chemicals" They still consist of basic elements. Nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous. The only reason to go "natural" is to keep away from chemicals, thus eliminating your use of weed controls. Natural fertilizers are slow to activate and wear off quickly. They won't give you the 1-2 punch that standard fertilizers will. Plus they will cost you more. I would just stick with a good granular product (not basic agricultural fert) and avoid liquid fert. You will keep your customers happier. If people are afraid of chemicals, you would be better avoiding them altogether because YOU will take the blame for any sicknesses to them or Fifi the cat!:angel:
  3. Lawn Wizard

Lawn Wizard LawnSite Member

I think in the right neighborhoods you could charge more to customers because its "organic". A lot of people care about the things they treat their lawn with. regardless i am still researching this idea but here is a link for a manufacturer.http://www.bradfieldind.com/index.html
  4. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

In fact the organic fert. that we use lasts twice as long as other chemical brands. The lawns that we used organic fert. on did better than compared to the ones we used "chemical" brands, but that can be looked on as individual conditons.

Cost more charge more....we have more customers asking for organic..

Another thread
  5. Lawn Wizard

Lawn Wizard LawnSite Member

6. powerreel

powerreel Banned

7. they are called chemical because they are hydrosoluble salt made by chemical procedure( and it's need a lot of energy). Organic are fert are directly available from nature and only need to be transform in granul, some product just need mechanical procedure for that. most are non soluble. High Salinity index kill the micro organism necessary to keep the soil in good health, and the turf will follow. you can use both chemical fert at the beginning of the seasons, this is a good start up and a good application of organic will last all summer with no risk of burn.