1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

natural gas lights

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Wouldn't it be awesome to put in one natural gas light fixture for a client, as a focal point to a portrait? That extra touch would probably turn heads and get referrals.

I saw some homes in a community that had them glowing on porches. Totally awesome.

I think I'll put a call into the gas company for more info.
  2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Mike, Gas Lamps seem to be making a pretty strong comeback around here. There are a number of manufacturers making them. Not our arena though as you have to have a licensed gas fitter do all of the installation. If you are designing and spec-ing these, you should tell your client to be prepared for more maintenance too. They require cleaning and if located in the wrong places can be blown out by high winds, gusts, etc.

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I like gas lights, but they give what , 5 lumens of light ? There is a neighborhood around here that has gas lights on each home as carriage lights and gas street lights. they all burn 24/7, fairly dim at night, and gives the whole neighborhood kinda creepy feeling.
  5. Mike M

from usa

Imagine a post card with your logo and featuring "the amazing ambiance a natural gas light..." I think the property owners are just like us, they want to separate themselves from all the "typical" lighting jobs, with great designs, and key accents that rise above add-on guys.

Dave, I know what you mean, the community I was at fits your description, lol. But it's an elegant kind of creepy, and it takes away the sterile feel of all that brand new construction. They also have all these huge oaks with spanish moss, very impressionable.

I mentioned the idea of the gas light as a focal point. That means I don't plan on it as a tool to illuminate anything else. I think just one of these, balanced right with the lv, would look mind-blowing.
  6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I see quite a few here. Some are even switch controlled with an igniter inside. They are more decorative than they are for light. Very nice looking. but mostly ornamental.
  7. NiteTymeIlluminations

NiteTymeIlluminations LawnSite Senior Member

I use a ton of Beachside tiki torches on propane on the islands. They are awesome! I wish i could use more Beachside products, they have the most impressive MR16 fixture I've ever held in my hands.
  8. Mike M

from usa

Cool. Thanks for the Beachside Lighting info. Their website has a nice description of the differences between kerosene and propane or natural gas.

Something for me to look into, as this stuff would look awesome around hot tubs and pools around here.

I still need more info on lanterns, I will contact the gas company.
  9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Total waste of a valuable resource IMHO.
  10. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I lit a home up in Coeur'dlane (about 6 hours north of boise), last year. They had several large gas lanterns in the house, entryway, hallways etc. I didn't ever get to see them burning but I thought it was pretty cool. I like it mike, pretty cool focal feature. You just need a plumber to pipe it all and set it up since they have all the necessary licensing for this kind of work. Go for it!!