1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone here use a natural gas outfit?, what all is involved besides an injector/low pressure torch??:blob2:

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You are not really going to save much going to natural gas torch because it doesn't heat as hot and so it takes longer to heat up the steel before you cut and use alot more oxygen. We used to use propane but only use it when we cut alot of scrap steel or we run out of accetelyne. On our torch for propane you only change the tip our torch we use a standard gauge we don't have natural gas here. One thing you can't do is braze with propane or natural gas its too dirty it makes a poor weld we usually don't braze so it doesn't matter much to us.

3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

used a natural gas rig a few years back, think it was called a MAPP gas system, didn,t care for it though i like ate acatylene/oxygen rig.

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

reason i ask is my @ my dads work they have natural gas torches everywhere, they have that and oxygen hard piped all over for various uses.

5. Lohr Equipment & Wel

Lohr Equipment & Wel LawnSite Member

If you want a great torch that blows away tho oxy/acetylene torch try the petrogen gasoline torch.A bit pricey at the purchase but it cuts twice as fast as the actylene,cuts cleaner,heavy sections and you buy regular gasoline and oxygen to run it.Try the petrogen web site I believe it is just www.petrogen.com.Good luck

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Acetylene burns much dirtier than propane or natural gas.
    Light an acetylene torch with no oxy and do the same with natural or propane,wich gives off that nice black curl of smoke?Spent some time manufacturing surface mix torches for natural gas and propane for the glass blowing and research industries.
    Glass blowers will not normally use acetylene because of the unclean burn.It is the extra oxy that is required for natural gas and propane that oxidizes and prevents good quality brazing.
    Acetylene does burn hotter as well.
    Hydrogen is the best for clean burn but finicky to use and torches are not readily available.