1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

natural moss killer

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by mrkosar, Feb 8, 2009.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

what do you guys use?

2. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Whats wrong with moss?

3. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

light and more sun light....

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

down here the lesco high mag iron liquid kills it off pretty good......then add some N to the soil........

6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

7. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I've got to read the links posted, but my first thought to your response is that you've got to get out more. The only moss problems I deal with are on putting greens. It doesn't get anymore full sun than an open putting green in the high desert at an elevation just shy of 6000'. Most of my moss grows in hydrophobic areas that are elevated.

8. bicmudpuppy

Tell me what/where you are trying to remove moss. My moss will be dead by June 1st. The only reason it is still here is I didn't get here until July 3rd and making the kind of changes necessary to eliminate it just didn't happen in the little time I had to consider it. (read that as it didn't make the priority list)

9. bicmudpuppy

The one link is to an "organic" spray for use on hard surfaces to kill the moss. Vinegar, Lye soap, Salt, etc. all work to kill anything living on hard surfaces.

The other link is a decent article. They are pushing ferts. Vertical mow and fertilize for optimal plant growth. Sounds good, BUT what I never see any where but golf type turf is the importance of applying fertilizer and stimulating the turf BEFORE vertical mowing or aerification. Minimum of two weeks before you mechanically remove any thatch, fertilize. Give the plants a good swift kick to get them growing. On short turf, I like to vertical mow after plugging. If it is a spreading grass (even blue grass), you will get quicker fill of plug holes if you verticut after aerification. Next, top dress. Compost, sand or a mix on top of the cut crowns. The top dressing hides the moss from the sunlight it needs to grow, and it protects the plants damaged from the vertical mowing. In golf, we use a LOT of sand and I like sand. I like sand better if I can mix it with 25-40% soil, peat, humates, etc. The sand makes sure you stay open for oxygen. The "heavier" particles help retain moisture and provide some fertility.

10. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

shaded areas that needs pruning, but the customer wants the moss gone too. it has soil underneath, and not a hard surface.

get rid of moss, prune trees, plant a ground cover or fine fescue mix?